Thread poster: demalkin

demalkin
Netherlands
Local time: 13:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 14, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have quite a strange situation here and hope someone knows how to solve this. Any help is much appreciated. Here's the story:

I got a project delivered to me in .idml-format. I hadn't yet upgraded to trados 2011 and couldn't load the files into 2007 or 2009 as they were created with an incompatible version of Indesign. After a quick search online I found that MemoQ should do the trick. I downloaded the trial and successfully loaded the idml file into memoq. However, after finishing the translation, when trying to save or export the translated file back into idml, memoq seemed only to be able to save the translated file as a memoq-specific format. When saving the document as idml, for some reason memoq saved the translation into the source text column and thereby emptying the translation column.

To solve this problem I finally upgraded trados to 2011. So now I have a working version of trados 2011, and 2 idml files. 1 of them is the original, with the source text in the source column, and the other has my translation in the source text column.

So my question is: does anyone know how to merge these 2 files so that my translation appears in the translation column with the source text in tact?

Again, any suggestions are much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Daniel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
So it sounds as though... May 14, 2013

... you want to create a Translation Memory from your two IDML files? Or is there another reason you want to see these two monolingual files in a single bilingual file?

Regards

Paul

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes and no May 14, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. Yes I would like to create a TM, but also I believe the agency wants a bilingual file returned to them. Or is that a strange assumption to make (I am new to this file type)?

Best regards,

Daniel

United Kingdom
English
ok... May 14, 2013

... so what were you delivered in the Project? If your customer wants a bilingual file back then you need to know what kind of bilingual file they want.

On the TM, for this you need to align the files and in the current version of Studio we have WinAlign that does not support IDML files. So what you would have to do is open them up in Studio, copy source to target and then use an application on the OpenExchange called the Legacy Converter that will convert the SDLXLIFF (Studio bilingual file) to TTX (Trados bilingual file). Then align the TTX files with WinAlign to create a TXT Translation Memory. Now upgrade the TXT Translation Memomry to an SDLTM with Studio 2011.

Regards

Paul

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one more question May 14, 2013

Thanks for that, I will follow your instructions as to the TM. With reference to the file my client expects; they sent me an idml file and want an idml file returned to them. But one with both the source text and translation in it. Would this be possible somehow without having to copy-paste every section from one idml into the other separately?

Many thanks,

Daniel

[Bijgewerkt op 2013-05-14 14:33 GMT]

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
IDML is not a bilingual format May 14, 2013

Hi Daniel,

IDML is a monolingual format, and it is aimed at printing. Asking for a bilingual file there is a bit unreasonable. When memoQ overwrote the source segment with the target, it did what it does with all other file formats, like Word.

If I were your customer, I'd ask for a bilingual Word file (Export bilingual - two-column RTF) and the translated IDML file. They can open the translated IDML in InDesign.

If you are working with IDML, you might want to have a look at Languageterminal.com which may also give you a preview in memoQ.

Best regards,
István

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bingo May 14, 2013

Hi Istvan,

Thank you, that clarifies a lot and is actually the answer I was hoping foricon_smile.gif I will definitely have a look at your link, this is the first time I had to work with this file type and it's always good to learn new stuff. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Daniel

United Kingdom
English
Just to clarify ... May 15, 2013

... Studio doesn't use a 2-column RTF. But you have the same idea with File -> Export for External Review. So if István's suggestion, which is a good one, is what your client needs you can deliver this with the tools you have.

Regards

Paul

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
end-result May 15, 2013

Many thanks to the both of you. Thanks to you I had the confidence to tell the client he should be fine with what I had sent him in the first place, and as it turns out they could indeed work with that file and didn't even require the bilingual doc as suggested by István. But, should the occasion arise, I now know how to do iticon_smile.gif

Thanks again and have a great day!

Best regards,

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging 2 single-lingual idml files into 1 bilingual in SDL Trados 2011

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search