Thread poster: demalkin

demalkin
Netherlands
Local time: 20:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 15, 2013

Hi all,

Yesterday I migrated to SDL Trados Studio 2011 and immediately ran into a problem: I can't seem to update my project TM with the content of my translation. It says there is no project TM open even though there is. Is this a common problem? Does anyone know of a common mistake I might have made that would cause this to happen?

Many thanks,

Daniel

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:35
English to Hebrew
+ ...
In studio there are two types of TMs May 15, 2013

The first is the Main Translation Memory - it is the file (or server) based TM that is defined in the Project Settings.

A Project Translation Memory is something different, and it gets created only if you chose to create one in the Project creation sequence. The default is Prepare without a Project TM, and if you need Project TM you should choose the setting Prepare.
A Project TM is a project that contain only the new segments from the current session. For example, if you have large reference TM but you want to have a TM only for the content of the specific project you are currently working on, you should set up the large TM as the Main Translation Memory, and choose Prepare in the project creation sequence in order to create a Project TM that will store all the "new" entries from the file(s) that you are currently working on.

Therefore, if you haven't set up a Project TM, you need to choose Batch Tasks > Update Main Translation Memory.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Active TMs May 15, 2013

Hi Daniel,

I guess I have two questions. When you say it's open, where did you add it?

1. In Tools -> Options after opening the file for Translation?
2. In the Translation Memory View?

I ask because neither of these will help you as they are not having any affect on your active project.

The first because adding a TM to an existing project must be done through the Project Settings : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-fz

The second because this is for Maintenance on the TM only... but not an uncommon mistake for first time users who were used to Workbench.

Maybe one of these is the reason for the problem?

Regards

Paul

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
added during project setup May 15, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your swift response. I added the TM during the setup of the project, and when I check my project setting, the TM is there. I also have it opened in the TM view, but as you said, that should be irrelevant. Any further thoughts?

Best regards,

Daniel

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
added during project setup sequence May 15, 2013

Hi Shai,

Actually what I did was create a new, empty TM during the project setup sequence to start populating it as I progressed through the project. So if I understand correctly this is now my main TM? Either way, when I perform the batch task 'update main TM' it says the update is successful but when I then open that TM in the TM view, the sections are not there.

Any additional thoughts?

Many thanks,

Daniel

demalkin
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file type May 15, 2013

I should probably add that the translation files in this project are .idml files. Could that be of any relevance to this issue?

felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Did you check the box update May 15, 2013

in the project settings?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... May 15, 2013

demalkin wrote:

Any further thoughts?

... if you drop me an email we do a quick screen share and see what's what?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem adding/updating project TM in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search