Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
German to English
+ ...
May 18, 2013

Hi,

I'm running SDL Trados Studio 2011.

I've been having issues with hard drive space for a while so yesterday replaced my old hard drive with a shiny new one. The old hard drive was backed up and copied to the new one, so the new one is now a copy of the old one but with more space.

Unfortunately, as far as Trados is concerned, it is a new install and it is asking me for my licence number. When I enter this, it says it is still in use on another computer (my old hard drive). Is there any way I can activate the licence without having deactivated the old one.

I've tried SDL support but they seem to be moving over to a new support portal. There are instructional videos on how to use the portal, which don't work. And merely trying to log a support ticket takes me to their pricing scheme for support contracts, although installation and licensing support is free!

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks
Mary

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:56
English to Hebrew
+ ...
If you can, try to deactivae it offline May 18, 2013

In you SDL account, next to the Studio 2011 license in the Licenses section you have a link with instructions for deactivating the license offline. You might want to give this a try first.

If for any reason it doesn't work, you can contact SDL via the following link http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf#tab:SFTab:crumb:0
I just tried it (short of submitting the form) and it seems to work.

Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:56
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask SDL to deactivate your license for you May 18, 2013

Hello,

From this page http://kb.sdl.com/?tab=sf#tab:SFTab:crumb:0 , I have asked them to deinstall my license from an old computer, thus being able to reactivate that same license on a new devise.

Hope this helps,
Marco

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 18, 2013

Thanks to both of you. The offline deactivation isn't an option because I would still need access to the old system, but I've submitted a support request via the solution finder.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activating SDL Trados Licence without first deactivating

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search