Studio won't start after computer shut-down
Thread poster: Steve Yeadon

Steve Yeadon
Sweden
Local time: 09:31
Swedish to English
May 22, 2013

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one. My computer closed down of its own accord when Studio was open. The computer could be started up again without a problem but alas, not Studio. I now have the situation where each time I shut down and restart my computer I cannot open Studio, which means that I have to reinstall it each time. I have now uninstalled the Studio suite of products using Revo Uninstaller Advanced and reinstalled from scratch. I can open and close the program without a problem until I shut down the computer. On reopening I cannot open Studio. The most I get is the splash screen with Loading plug-ins indicated. There it hangs up. All tips and advise welcome.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Terhi Nurminen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
Member (2012)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Same problem here May 27, 2013

Hi Steve,

I have exactly the same problem (I am on PC and have Studio 2011) and was wondering if you have found a solution. I have looked at some earlier threads about similar problems and have tried uninstalling Java and the latest Microsoft updates, but nothing seems to help. Like you, I can work my way around the problem by reinstalling every time I switch on my machine, and the program opens and closes just fine then. I think that the problem and the shut-down you mention could be unrelated as I first had this problem after a normal shut-down.

Thanks,
Terhi

Steve Yeadon
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet May 28, 2013

Hi Tehri

Thanks for your comments. No I haven't found the solution yet but feel that the problem lies in Windows rather than Studio and that a reinstallation of Windows is probably required. Being able to work around the problem has caused me to delay this as yet, but I think that is probably the way to go.

Steve

Member (2012)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Thanks May 28, 2013

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't thought that Windows could be the source of this problem. I'm not going to reinstalling Windows just yet though, in case there is another solution.

Thanks,
Terhi

Steve Yeadon
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
All quiet. May 28, 2013

Hi again

I suppose the fact that all other programs open without a problem, in my case anyway, including Multiterm, points to the cause being Studio based. Have you any ideas for finding the solution? All seems very quiet here, doesn't it? I'm also reluctant to reinstall Windows but, as yet, don't know what else to try.

Steve

Jarkko Latvala  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:31
English to Finnish
+ ...
Same problem caused by a Windows 7 update (or Java?) May 29, 2013

Steve Yeadon wrote:

Hi again

I suppose the fact that all other programs open without a problem, in my case anyway, including Multiterm, points to the cause being Studio based. Have you any ideas for finding the solution? All seems very quiet here, doesn't it? I'm also reluctant to reinstall Windows but, as yet, don't know what else to try.

Steve

I have the same problem and have not found a solution to it. This seems to be caused by a Windows (version 7) update, because, when I return the system to its previous state, Studio 2011 works again.

I have no idea of what to try now except to disable Windows updates, which is not a real solution to this. I should think that this is a larger problem, or?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support Update May 29, 2013

Hi all

I would not recommend reinstalling Studio - this should be a last resort! in the first instance please can you try the solutions mentioned in the following KB article:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4457

If you still have issues after following the solutions mentioned here then please log a support request through the 'Solution Finder' tab also available through the knowledge base.

Thanks
Fas

SDL Support

Member (2012)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Update Jun 5, 2013

Hi,

Sorry about having been quiet for a while. I contacted Trados support staff about this and have been waiting for them to get back to me. I was advised to uninstall update KB2820331 (listed under Windows in the updates list, which is why I didn't try uninstalling it initially) which has to do with the 'Nalpeiron' licensing service used by Studio. However, while I can now get past the 'loading plug-ins' screen I get a LicenseTableAltered2 - 115 error message when I reach the licenses screen. I think I'll probably have to reactivate my license, but I have emailed Trados support again and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. In any case, the bad thing about this solution is that you need to disable automatic updates and make sure you don't accidentally download and install again the update that caused the problem.

Terhi

nironen
Finland
Russian to Finnish
+ ...
Occasional Studio starting problems Jun 6, 2013

Hi!
I also have starting problems with my Studio, when I turn on my computer. Usually I have managed to start the programme just by praying and rebooting the computer, but the problem seems to continue every single day. There are no error messages, the opening window just seems to load and load and stay for ever. Multi Term opens up normally. As far as I can recall, I have not had any crash downs on my computer lately so that Studio had been on.
I do have Windows update KB2820331 on my computer, but I have no idea how to uninstall it. Furthermore, according to other letters, uninstalling this update can cause licensing problems with Studio, so I am afraid to try it. The troubleshoot offered does not fit my case either, because I do not receive any error announcement. The opening window is very pleased with itself, showing that copyright 2011 SDL and all rights reserved. The problem is, I cannot carry on with my translation and the deadline is today... I do not have another problems with other programmes, except with Mozilla Firefox, which refusest to open certain pages, including proz.com, and upload files to my gmail account. Explorer and everything else works perfectly.
Please help!

Member (2012)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Uninstalling the Windows update Jun 6, 2013

Hi,

Based on my experiences, I wouldn't actually recommend uninstalling the Windows update if you can work your way around the problem somehow. I managed to complete projects for a while by uninstalling and reinstalling Trados every time after shutdown (that was the only thing that worked for me). I was then advised my Trados support to uninstall update KB2820331, but I now have a licensing problem that needs a remote session to sort out (so I have been told). I now wish that I hadn't tried uninstalling the update (especially since the problem will have probably fix itself at some point when a new update is released).

To nironen: you can uninstall Windows updates by choosing the following (in Windows 7, I'm not sure about other versions): Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > View Installed Updates (you will see a list of everything you have installed and choose which ones you want to uninstall)

Terhi

nironen
Finland
Russian to Finnish
+ ...
Part-time solution for launching problems of Studio 2011 Dec 20, 2013

Hi!
The problem of a freezing launch window of SDL Trados Studio 2011 has not left me in peace so I had to search for more information.
The instructions on support page: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4457
helped me around, especially the first hint. It advices to delete the following files:

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

from folder:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[Versionnumber]
Windows 7/ Vista: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[Versionnumber]

And reboot the computer.

However, after a couple of weeks that did not help any more.
I found another hint on page: http://blog.cinciala.eu/?p=936

In addition to the previous files I needed to delete the same files from MultiTerm,
from folder:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\[Versionnumber]
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\[Versionnumber]

And reboot the computer after deleting the base setting files from both folders.

And in hard cases, if anything else does not work, I need to delete in the same MultiTerm folder the file:

- settings.xml

And reboot the computer.

This has enabled me to launch Studio 2011 when problems occur. It resets the default settings.
Nevertheless, it does not heal the problem, as it keeps on repeating itself over and over again.

Eventually, when nothing else helped, I reinstalled the Studio 2011 and could open the programme perfectly until I turned off the computer. After three re-installations, deleting the latest Java 7 and downloading the older version of Java 7.25 which Trados supports (see page; http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?articleId=4956#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956) I returned to the base one with a freezing launch window which does launch after deleting the aforementioned files. (without re-installations)

When I contacted the SDL Support. I was told that this is an installation problem for which they offer support for free. I am still waiting for the final solution from them, but I decided to share this information for those whose programme suffers from the same disease.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio won't start after computer shut-down

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search