Thread poster: lu83
lu83
lu83  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
May 23, 2013

Hi,
We are working with Trados 2006 with most of our clients and for one of them we have to use Trados 2011 so my question is, is it possible to have both versions of Trados on one PC. Thank you

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem May 23, 2013

I have Trados 2007 and Studio 2011 on the same machine. But you should not need old Trados anymore. Time to move on?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes May 23, 2013

lu83 wrote:
We are working with Trados 2006 with most of our clients and for one of them we have to use Trados 2011 so my question is, is it possible to have both versions of Trados on one PC.

Yes. I have Trados 2007 and Trados 2009, and they live on the same computer as two separate programs. I also have Word 2003 and Word 2007, but those two programs fight like cat and dog. Trados 2007 and Trados 2009 don't even know about each other, so it's all quiet.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The need for old Trados May 23, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
But you should not need old Trados anymore. Time to move on?

Fewer than 10% of my agency clients offer jobs in Trados 2009/11. A high percentage of my clients offer jobs in Trados 2007. If I count up all the income that I had generated with Trados 2009 since I bought it, I suspect it barely even covers the sale price. Trados 2007 has been a good investment, on the other hand. Practically none of the agencies that once told me "we are moving to Trados 2009/11 soon" have actually moved on from Trados 2007 to date.

Trados 2009 is a bit of a white elephant for me, because clients that do require it actually require Trados 2011, not 2009. This means e.g. that I can't create target files myself and I have to ask the client to do it for me, because of incompatibilities between the two versions. However, the actual number of client that require it is still very small.

lu83
lu83  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 23, 2013

Thank you for your answers. So it shouldn't be a problem, great. I don't have problem with moving on but lots of them have

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 and SDL Trados 2006

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »