SDL Studio 2011: Return package does not contain translation/translated files
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 24, 2013

One of my best clients - who, by the way upgraded to Studio because I recommended it - is getting rather annoyed with me, because the return packages I send her practically never contain the translation. What she gets is a package with the original, untranslated files, despite the fact that I obviously translated everything and created a return package after that. Most of the files are IDML. I run Studio in a Win 7 64 bit environment.

I have noticed that Studio does not always register translation progress correctly and I wonder if there is a connection.

Would very much appreciate assistance.

photo Ruumlckpaketuntranslated.jpg

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
English
Just a question... May 24, 2013

Hi Marinus,

When you work with packages do you ever use "Open Document" to open and translate the files rather than double clicking on the file in the files view? This is the only reason I can think of for a file you translated not showing as translated in the Project.

If you did this you'll probably find the fully translated sdlxliff in the same folder as the original source file so you can either replace the one in the Project with that, or import it into your TM... or if you used the same TM as your Project was set to use just pregtranslate the file again... after opening from the Files view.

If it's not that I'll happily take a look for you on a webex perhaps?

Regards

Paul

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.. May 24, 2013

Hello Paul

Thank you for your prompt reply. When I receive the package I open it by double-clicking on it, after which the project opens. I then click on the individual files in the list to edit them with the editor. I always save after editing and/or before closing the file.

I do add additional TMs to the project, for reference and to make sure I have my own work stored for future use.

The odd thing is that after a day or two, without consciously trying or tweaking anything, I can create a return package with the translated files in it.

Anyway, I'm already helped by the tips you gave me. That way I can manually create a good return package.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
That is odd... May 24, 2013

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

The odd thing is that after a day or two, without consciously trying or tweaking anything, I can create a return package with the translated files in it.

Maybe if it happens again you can drop me an email and I can take a look? Would be interesting to get to the bottom of why that happens.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Bob Lemay
United States
Local time: 23:56
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Using File > Open for translation works Aug 1, 2013

I have the same problem. I tried recreating a package that failed and used File > Open for Translation to open the file. Then simply saved it (without even using Finalize). The files in the package were the translated version.

[Edited at 2013-08-01 17:18 GMT]

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't finalize Aug 2, 2013

Hi,

I had the same problem, I mean, I received packages from freelancers with the same issue, and when I told them to not Finalize the files, everything worked again. So this might be your problem too... In case you've finalize the files, just open the file/s again in File view on Studio (this way, the SDLXLIFF file will be recreated) and create again the return package.

PS.: the translation progress issue can be sometimes fixed if you select the file/s, right click, select Batch Tasks > Word Count.

I hope it helps,

... Jesús Prieto ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2011: Return package does not contain translation/translated files

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search