Thor Henrik Braarvig  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:56
German to Norwegian
+ ...
May 26, 2013

Hello there,

I've got more than a hundred sentences like this one:

Profibusteilnehmer112 meldet sich nicht am Bus!

The only thing changing is the number and Trados would normally do this automatically, but because there's no space between the word and the number I have to change the number manually for each and every sentence.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 by the way.

Greetings,

Thor

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Search & replace Profibusteilnehmer(112) with Profibusteilnehmer (112) May 26, 2013

Hi,
What about a Search&replace action on the source file (replacing 'Profibusteilnehmer' with 'Profibusteilnehmer ' (so add a space after Profibusteilnehmer) before importing in Studio?

Or Enable the possibility to edit the source text in Studio and perform an S&R action?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe use the... May 26, 2013

... Terminjector from the openexchange. This can insert the word plus correct number into the translation result coming from the TM. Might do the trick if you can't correct the source file first.

Regards

Paul

Thor Henrik Braarvig  Identity Verified
Norway
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... May 27, 2013

...a lot for your suggestions. Because it is a Studio 2009 package I cant change the source files. What I did in the end though was to split each segment between the word and the number. I used the keyboard shortcut (alt, shift, t) and had to push the arrow down key a lot of times, but it went pretty fast.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Another suggestion May 27, 2013

Just seen this and my immediate thought was to leave it as is in the target segments and then do search&replace in the target for Profibusteilnehmer.
Although maybe it's more complicated than that?

Still, your segment splitting is another solution. You must have got quite fast using the keyboard shortcut!

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Next time you can try these methods May 27, 2013

Risky way: open the Studio file in Notepad++ and replace Profibusteilnehmer with Profibusteilnehmer_ in the source text then save the file with the same name. Be careful not to change anything else.

I think the next workaround is less risky but still usable. In Studio Editor display all segments, select „In Source” and write in the „Containing” window:

Profibusteilnehmer[\d]+ meldet sich nicht am Bus!

to collect this kind of sentences. Then select all of the collected sentences by holding down Shift and clicking the first segment and scrolling down to the last segment in the column of segment numbers, then right click and select „Copy source to target”. When all the sentences to convert are on the target side, translate the first occurrence. Now go to Find/Replace and replace what is in front of the number in the source text with the text which will be in front of the number in the target text. Do the same with the text following the number.

The first step (filtering) is needed to restrict replacing to the sentences involved and not to change other segments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically translate combined word and number

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search