Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 26, 2013

G'day everyone

I'm trying to get Trados 2011 to run after an upgrade, and the "Offline Activation Certificate" web page asks me for my "Installation ID". How can I find my installation ID? Is is possible to find my installation ID without actually running Trados (because that is my problem -- Trados doesn't run beyond the activation dialog)?

Thanks
Samuel

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
English to German
Activation Codes? May 26, 2013

Hi!

Go to SDL My Account Login and log in.

-> My Licenses (pick your software here)

-> Activation Codes

At this point you should be able to see your activation codes.

Hope this is what you meant.

Marina

[Edited at 2013-05-26 15:26 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I need the "Installation ID" May 26, 2013

Marina M. Steinbach wrote:
Go to SDL My Account Login and log in.
-> My Licenses (pick your software here)
-> Activation Codes
At this point you should be able to see your activation codes.

No, I want my "Installation ID" because that is what the web site asks. The web page already shows the Activation Code, but I have to fill in my "Installation ID".

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Why do you... May 26, 2013

... want to generate an offline activation certificate? All you had to do was take your activation code and put it in the activate software dialog box.

Article 3925 in the KB explains how to use offline activation if you really want this.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why? Because... May 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
[Why do you] want to generate an offline activation certificate? All you had to do was take your activation code and put it in the activate software dialog box.

Yes, I've tried installing into a virtual machine to see what it would look like on a new computer, and this is what I saw:

As you can see, there is an "Installation ID" there. However, I never got this screen when I installed Trados 2011 three days ago, and I do not see this screen now, even though I've uninstalled both Trados 2009 and Trados 2011 and deleted all remaining program files from my computer, and reinstalled Trados 2011.

So, a brand new installation on a new computer would show that dialog, but I only get the dialog asking me to deactivate. This is why I'm trying to do an offline activation.

Added: I just reread my post and I want to make something clear -- I installed into a virtual machine today, but the license I'm trying to activate is on my main computer, not in a virtual machine.

[Edited at 2013-05-26 16:43 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, that KB article assumes I get the activation screen May 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Article 3925 in the KB explains how to use offline activation if you really want this.

Article 3925 assumes that I get a screen telling me to activate. But I don't. I get a screen telling me to deactivate. So now I'm just following my nose.

United Kingdom
English
Click on... May 26, 2013

... alternative activation options in your screenshot.

United Kingdom
English
ok... May 26, 2013

... my bad trying to respond by phone. I'll take a better look later when I get in.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, that screenshot is not my screenshot May 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Click on alternative activation options in your screenshot.

No, the screenshot that I posted above is not the screenshot that I see in my actual computer. The screenshot that I posted above is what I see in my virtual machine. I only posted that screenshot to show Marina what the "Installation ID" is.

This is what I see on my actual computer, when I run Trados:

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My phone number May 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
My bad trying to respond by phone.

That's odd... my phone is sitting next to me, and I did update my contact details when I bought Trados 2011. Sorry that you missed me. It is annoying to me that Trados doesn't work at this time, but it is not the end of the world since Trados is not my main CAT tool. It just limits me a bit.

United Kingdom
English
Sorry... May 26, 2013

... I meant "on" my phone. Not a great internet experience.

United Kingdom
English
Try updating the build May 26, 2013

Hi Samuel,

ok - this is just an idea... I'm not sure if this will help as I have not come across this error since the earlier releases but it may be something resolved in a cumulative update.

So, now you have installed this one SDLTradosStudio2011_SP2_3046.exe you should go to this article and download the update from the link on the right-hand side:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4536&source=article&c=12&cid=23

So only the Studio-KB4536-9.zip download... you shouldn't need the toolkit. Just download, unzip onto your desktop and run the Studio-KB4536-9.msp file inside. Then try to start Studio again. If you get the proper activation box this time then just use the activation code under your My Licenses in your account.

If this doesn't work then I'll log a case for you tomorrow (I saw your post on being unable to do that either).

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Password... May 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
So, now you have installed this one SDLTradosStudio2011_SP2_3046.exe you should go to this article and download the update from the link on the right-hand side...

Yes, that is the file I installed. I tried to download the file you mentioned, but I need a username/password for the FTP site (or a password for the direct link).

United Kingdom
English
In the KB article.. May 27, 2013

... it says if the direct link doesn't work then use the ftp with hotfix as the username and no password.

If you're still stuck drop me an email and I'll mail it to you... I clicked the zip in the KB and it downlosded.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for pointing that out May 27, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
It says if the direct link doesn't work then use the ftp with hotfix as the username and no password.

Thanks for pointing that out -- perhaps I was a bit tired by the time I read it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find my "Installation ID"?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search