Word file appears in SDL with tags everywhere
Thread poster: Heather McCrae

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:57
German to English
May 29, 2013

I just got a word file from a client, but when I opened it, it was a nightmare, the whole text is full of tags between words, even between letters of words! anyone know how to resolve such a problem?
here is one example which actually says "Betriebsanleitung TTfillxxxxxx (and so on, just 3 words!!!):

Betriebsanleitung TTFill60 & TTFill100

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Run a search in these forums for Tag Soup, Extra/Excessive tags May 29, 2013

...to get some suggestions. What you have encountered is usually referred to as a 'tag soup' and there are several methods to tackle it.
Here is a good place to start
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/

This results from a badly structured file, usually the result of a PDF to Word conversion.
On a side note: I strongly advise you to charge for the processing that you will have to in order to clean everything up, or to return the file to your client and have them do the cleanup.

[Edited at 2013-05-29 17:50 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Thanks, Shai! May 29, 2013

Thanks for recommending my blog post, Shai. Indeed it's an excellent place to starticon_wink.gif

@Heather:
< and > signs in the forum indicate BBcode, so they won't show up unless they are paired. A screenshot is a good solution if you want to share something like a tag soup.
Individual signs can be entered by using & lt or & gt (without the spaces).

If anyone wants to see the tags Heather is talking about, simply click "quote" on her post and the entire content will show up.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks!! May 29, 2013

phew, I had no idea what to call this phenomenon - tag soup is great, I will have a trawl through Proz.

thanks a lot for the help, I am certainly returning this job to the client for them to sort out!! I dont have the time to do it myself and it is their problem. But I will also send them the link to the tips.
thank you Shai and Emma!
regards
Heather

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thank you Emma May 30, 2013

...for making it easy for me and others to link to a single comprehensive and useful resource instead of just generically recommending to search the forums or linking to several, half-random, discussions that might create more confusion than benefit.

[Edited at 2013-05-30 05:25 GMT]

Annelise Brincker  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks May 30, 2013

This has also happened to me. Thanks for this useful thread.

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
A few other ideas May 30, 2013

Hi there Heather,

Back in the days when I still thought I could handle pdfs on Studio (how naïve, right!), I ran up against the same problem. My cry for help on the following thread brought in several good ideas that might also be useful for tag-infested Word documents (which apparently might have once been pdfs).

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/196297-tags_tags_everywhere.html

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2013-05-30 07:59 GMT]

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Really helpful link - now, how about tags in TMs?! May 30, 2013

Hi Véronique - I have had this problem, and have been through your very helpful link, several very useful options there. Have you tried any of the other techniques advised in your thread, and if so, which one do you prefer?

I wonder if you have come across this related issue, and have any suggestions?

I have completed a project, which did contain rather too many tags, but not so as I couldn't read the original, so I kept the source as-is (but removed various tags in the target).

However, I have found that some (not all) of my source segments have been saved to the TM with tags round each word, even though that is not how the original appeared.

Is there any way I can clear up my TM directly, or do I need to clean the source and update all the relevant segments?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-05-30 10:05 GMT]

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
no idea! May 30, 2013

sorry, no good asking me, I sent the lot to my agency, their problem! and I am still struggling with lots of things despite 2 SDL courses, thankfully, people are so helpful here, not like SDL where you are ignored unless you have a service contract!
thanks for the helpful links!!
Heather

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
Ooohh - TM full of tags? Sounds nasty. May 30, 2013

Sian Cooper wrote:

Hi Véronique - I have had this problem, and have been through your very helpful link, several very useful options there. Have you tried any of the other techniques advised in your thread, and if so, which one do you prefer?

I wonder if you have come across this related issue, and have any suggestions?

I have completed a project, which did contain rather too many tags, but not so as I couldn't read the original, so I kept the source as-is (but removed various tags in the target).

However, I have found that some (not all) of my source segments have been saved to the TM with tags round each word, even though that is not how the original appeared.

Is there any way I can clear up my TM directly, or do I need to clean the source and update all the relevant segments?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-05-30 08:44 GMT]

Hello Sian,

I stuck with Jerzy's advice, and in future steered away from the problem altogether. That might sound lazy, but I've lost many an hour with Trados in my career, and the point of such tools is to save time, after all.

The TM having ghostly tags: that is rather a delicate problem. Could it be linked to the fact that you tried to ignore those in the source? I've been warned against doing so for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you sometimes you can't get your target document out in the end.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have any good advice for cleaning up your TM. Perhaps someone else might help.

All the best!

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Two Options May 30, 2013

Studio 2009/2011
1. Open the relevant TM in the Translation Memories view.
2. File > Batch Edit > Add > Delete Tags.
This could have varied degree of success depending on the nature of the tag soup in the TM.

TMX
1. Export the TM to a TMX format.
2. Download and install Olifant.
3. Open the TM in Olifant.
4. Go to the Utilities Menu > Remove Inline Codes.

In most cases, either of the above (or combined) would be enough to remove the majority of the offending tags.

[Edited at 2013-05-30 10:00 GMT]

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Brilliant May 30, 2013

Shai, you are wonderful, thank you.

I really don't know why it happened, the original (when viewed in Trados) did not show these tags (a tag separating each word) - it is not in all segments, just some. So, yes, there was some dodgy coding left in there.

Now I know, I will carefully pre-edit all files that have suspicious tag levels! Using one of the several techniques recommended by you/Emma/others.

Thanks as ever, guys!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file appears in SDL with tags everywhere

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search