Thread poster: Karen Chalmers

Karen Chalmers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:20
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
May 30, 2013

Good evening fellow translators

I do hope you can help me with this conundrum, I have spent many hours on it today and now find myself extremely behind. My client is asking me for an unclean Word document that her proofreader can edit in 2007. I have sent the normal 2011 bilingual file, which didn't satisfy requirements, and neither did the file exported in tmx format via the 'export' function.

She has sent me the segmented versions of the text in case that would help, but I don't have a clue what to do with them or if it's even worth trying as she didn't seem confident... I don't want to waste any more hours trying things that don't work as the deadline gets closer...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:20
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Export for External Review May 30, 2013

The simplest solution in my opinion is to use the Export for External Review feature.
This creates a two columns table with the source and target language in each column.
The reviewer can edit this word file, and later on this file can be imported back to Studio 2011 to update all the changes.

To do this:
Right click the required file (of from the File menu is the menu toolbar) > Batch Tasks > Export for External Review > Follow the on-screen wizard.

Alternately you can use the Open Exchange application SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter.

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried these earlier... May 30, 2013

Good evening and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately none of the file types on the converter were what the client wanted and neither was the bilingual file. Her proofreader works with 2007 and wants a bilingual word document that will work with that... I really have no clue - I always thought this was provided by the .ttf file.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
What is exactly the problem? May 30, 2013

The first option is the most convenient way if you ask me.
The reviewer doesn't have to have any special tool, he or she can edit the translation, and then you would import it back to Studio and produce the final file.

If the above creates a workflow problem, then the Converter is the best solution. You need to convert your SDLXLIFF file(s) (from the target language folder of your project) to TTX or bilingual Word format and send it to the reviewer. Having Trados 2007 the reviewer should not have any problem working with either one of these file formats.

[Edited at 2013-05-30 21:39 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
English to French
+ ...
SDL TTX It May 30, 2013

Hi Karen,

Use SDL TTx your source file, standard with Studio 2011, create a new project with your previous settings, should have to do minor changes, then save Target as Trados TagEditor, should do the trick.

HTH,

Bernard

yllea
English to Estonian
+ ...
use pre-segmented Word-file in Studio May 31, 2013

Hi Karen,
I have exactly the same situation - the client wants the bilingual segmented file back for editing. I always ask them for a bilingual, pre-segmented file for translation (where the source and target segments are identical), open it in Studio, translate it there and save target as a Word file. That produces exactly what they want.
Hope this is helpful.
All the best,
Ülle

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter May 31, 2013

If you've already translated your file this is probably your best option. Download from OpenExchange.

HTH,

Bernard

ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Info May 31, 2013

Hello
I am from SDL.

Here is my view... you have a couple of ways

1) Your customer sends you a word bilingual presegmented with Trados 2007.
In this case it is rpetty straightforward. As long as you have Studio 2011 (not 2009) you can open the Word Bilingual file, translate in Studio and Save Target As at the end. This will save it as a Word Bilingual file (unclean) that you can send back to your customer

2) Your customer does not send you a presegmented file.
Various options here:
- You could try to translate the doc in Studio. You then take the SDLXLiff and put it into the SDL OpenExchange App http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194
This would output a word bilingual file that Studio 2007 can open but realistically it is better for updating TMs than review - however you could try it.
- The second option is ufortunately to use the old Translator Workbench to pre-segment the file. You can then work in Studio 2011. Do you have SDL Trados 2007?

Hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
And the answer was... .ttx Jun 3, 2013

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate your input and support
In the end the client wanted .ttx files. I had already sent them that way but they must have got lost in the giant chain of emails. Now I need to ask another question...

Johanna Bowman  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Error when importing into Studio2011 Aug 18, 2014

Hi there,

I have tried Massi's approach but Studio 2011 returned the error message "Sub segment is not supported" when trying to open the unclean files.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Many thanks!

Johanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I create a bilingual Word file in Studio 2011 for editing in 2007

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search