Valerie Steinier-Vanderstraeten
Belgium
Local time: 18:51
Member (2008)
Dutch to French
+ ...
Jun 1, 2013

Hello,

I need to analyze and translate .json files. I have SDL Studio 2009 and 2011. Can anyone tell me how I can do that or what tool I should use?

Thanks in advance, for your help,
Valerie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This thread is probably... Jun 1, 2013

.... better of being in the SDL Trados Forum as you'll get more people reading it I think.

JSON files... actually I have never seen one. But someone did email about this format and then managed to resolve it himself before I got to see the file! His solution was to create a Regular Expression Delimited Text filetype which seemed to do the trick.

You can find a sho
... See more
.... better of being in the SDL Trados Forum as you'll get more people reading it I think.

JSON files... actually I have never seen one. But someone did email about this format and then managed to resolve it himself before I got to see the file! His solution was to create a Regular Expression Delimited Text filetype which seemed to do the trick.

You can find a short video here that explains how to create a filetype like this (the example file may not be the same... it was an LNG file... but the process will be) : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-1d

If this doesn't help, and if you are allowed to share the file I'll be happy to take a look at it for you?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Belgium
Member (2008)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 1, 2013

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I cannot share the file though. You can see info on .json files here http://www.json.org/.
I can open the file in TextEditor for example and I can see what content needs translation, but I'd like to be able to use a CAT tool such as Studio 2009 or Wordfast Pro.

I'll have a look at the video as well,
Thanks, Valerie

[Edited at 2013-06-0
... See more
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I cannot share the file though. You can see info on .json files here http://www.json.org/.
I can open the file in TextEditor for example and I can see what content needs translation, but I'd like to be able to use a CAT tool such as Studio 2009 or Wordfast Pro.

I'll have a look at the video as well,
Thanks, Valerie

[Edited at 2013-06-01 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
The Okapi Rainbow toolkit has a JSON filter Jun 1, 2013

Convert JSON into xliff for example and translate with the CAT you like.

Do reverse conversion with Okapi Rainbow too.

Regards,

Piotr

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Quite a few options there... Jun 1, 2013

... but perhaps the suggestion from Piotr will help?

I took a quick look at the first one linked from the site you provided and it gives this as an example:

<!--#include file="JSON_latest.asp"-->
<%
Dim member
Set member = jsObject()

member("name") = "Tuğrul"
member("surname") = "Topuz"
member("message") = "Hello World"

member.Flush
%>

So one fast method for this would be to add the
... See more
... but perhaps the suggestion from Piotr will help?

I took a quick look at the first one linked from the site you provided and it gives this as an example:

<!--#include file="JSON_latest.asp"-->
<%
Dim member
Set member = jsObject()

member("name") = "Tuğrul"
member("surname") = "Topuz"
member("message") = "Hello World"

member.Flush
%>

So one fast method for this would be to add the .json extension to the Java Resources filetype like this:

Then when you open the file you get this... not perfect as you see some of the code at the start but you could hide these two segments and the rest looks ok... and it's fast:

You could also create the regex filetype mentioned before. Here I guess you would translate the message text inbetween the quotes. In this case a simple structure rule would do the trick:

^.*=\s"
"$

Then the file opens in Studio 2011 like this:

So a little more work, but a cleaner rendition of the text in the browser. But of course this is only relevant if the format is the same and there seems to be many ways to prepare a JSON file.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Belgium
Member (2008)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you both Jun 1, 2013

Dear Piotr,
I'll try installing Rainbow and convert into xliff as you mention.

Dear Paul,
I created the regex filetype in Studio 2009. I can indeed translate the file in the ditor, but I cannot analyze the file for matches. At least I have not figured that out yet.
Working on it...

Thanks again for your help.
I'm not a techie by any means...
Valerie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not a techie? Jun 1, 2013

Valerie Steinier wrote:

I created the regex filetype in Studio 2009. I can indeed translate the file in the editor, but I cannot analyze the file for matches. At least I have not figured that out yet.
Working on it...

Thanks again for your help.
I'm not a techie by any means...
Valerie

Hi Valerie,

You just created a filetype and it works in less than 5 minutes... you sound like a techie to me

To analyze the file it's simple. Save your file after opening and this will create a single file project in the background and also activate all the batch tasks. You can then select the Analyse Batch task to analyse your file against your TM. There's a little info on this approach here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-1A

Regards

Paul

Belgium
Member (2008)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jun 1, 2013

Thanks Paul,
It worked. I managed to create the fitletype, open the document, save it to convert it to an xliff file and analzed it. THANK YOU!
Val

Now I'm going to try to do the same with a .po file...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did you get the free PO filetype... Jun 1, 2013

... from the openexchange? That will make life easier for you.

Regards

Paul

Belgium
Member (2008)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
po file type Jun 1, 2013

Hi Paul,
I think it is only for Studio 2011. I have Studio 2009.
I will check again though, thanks.
Valerie

update: When login in to download the po plugin on Openexchanage I get a message that says " You are not licensed for any SDL products that link with this application".
I imagine it is because I'm on 2009 version.
If you know of a workaround or other info, thanks in advance.
Valerie

[Edited at 2013-06-01 23:39 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you only have 2009... Jun 2, 2013

... that would be the reason, but I thought you mentioned at the beginning you had 2009 and 2011? Certainly that message would appear for an app developed for use with 2011 and you didn't have a 2011 licence available.

A po file is a bilingual file so you could use Rainbow again I believe to convert it (I've never managed to even start Rainbow so maybe Piotr can help?) or get a copy of POEdit (it's free) and use the T-Window app for Studio so you can at least use your own TMs... o
... See more
... that would be the reason, but I thought you mentioned at the beginning you had 2009 and 2011? Certainly that message would appear for an app developed for use with 2011 and you didn't have a 2011 licence available.

A po file is a bilingual file so you could use Rainbow again I believe to convert it (I've never managed to even start Rainbow so maybe Piotr can help?) or get a copy of POEdit (it's free) and use the T-Window app for Studio so you can at least use your own TMs... or upgrade to 2011.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Okapi Rainbow Jun 2, 2013

The latest installers for the stable versions can be found here:

https://code.google.com/p/okapi/downloads/list

I'd say Okapi Rainbow is for techies but on the other hand it is not rocket science.

Online help files and an active user support group is available.

If you drop a json file onto the input list 1 (the file type should be recogniz
... See more
The latest installers for the stable versions can be found here:

https://code.google.com/p/okapi/downloads/list

I'd say Okapi Rainbow is for techies but on the other hand it is not rocket science.

Online help files and an active user support group is available.

If you drop a json file onto the input list 1 (the file type should be recognized automatically), set languages and encodings you can proceed with translation kit creation. You can choose to generate a XLIFF file, which Studio will recognize.

When you get the xliff file back from studio, you drop it where you took it from, and then in translation kit post processing, you do not put the xliff file in the input list, but a file with the *.rkm extension.

HTH

Piotr
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Jun 5, 2013

Several colleagues use Wordfast Pro for translating JSON files.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Bmashina
Bmashina
Romania
Localization tool to translate JSON May 7, 2015

I see this post is a bit dated, but just in case someone reaches it looking for a solution to translate JSON files, I will suggest the translation platform https://poeditor.com/
It is a cloud solution, with a simple interface, and it can be used for collaborative translation. Also worth mentioning that it features translation memory.

Remy Blaettler
Remy Blaettler
German to English
+ ...
.JSON with SDL Trados Studio May 18, 2016

If anyone still has issues with .json files: We've built a free .json plugin for Trados Studio.
It can handle any type of json files, even with embedded content like HTML.

You can download it below or directly in the Open Exchange app store:
https://blog.supertext.ch/en/2016/05/json-file-type-for-trados/

Let us know if this works for y
... See more
If anyone still has issues with .json files: We've built a free .json plugin for Trados Studio.
It can handle any type of json files, even with embedded content like HTML.

You can download it below or directly in the Open Exchange app store:
https://blog.supertext.ch/en/2016/05/json-file-type-for-trados/

Let us know if this works for you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .json file with Trados Studio

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »