Trados Studio 2011 does not open
Thread poster: Taru Laiho
Taru Laiho
Taru Laiho
Local time: 10:07
Finnish to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2013

My copy of Trados Studio 2011 suddenly stopped working. It had been in full working order the previous day, but when I tried to open it the next time, the startup screen flashed for a few seconds and then nothing. The same happened when I try to open MultiTerm, but Passolo opened just fine. I tried reinstalling them (had to ask them to return the license, too, because I couldn't return it through the software itself) but even that did not resolve the problem.

I already contacted SDL
... See more
My copy of Trados Studio 2011 suddenly stopped working. It had been in full working order the previous day, but when I tried to open it the next time, the startup screen flashed for a few seconds and then nothing. The same happened when I try to open MultiTerm, but Passolo opened just fine. I tried reinstalling them (had to ask them to return the license, too, because I couldn't return it through the software itself) but even that did not resolve the problem.

I already contacted SDL Support and they promised to try to repair the problem in a remote session, but I thought I'd try here too, in case someone has had the same problem.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
English
Maybe try this ... Jun 5, 2013

... it might work:

1. Exit SDL Trados Studio.
  2. Browse to the relevant directory.
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
    - Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
  3. Here you... See more
... it might work:

1. Exit SDL Trados Studio.
  2. Browse to the relevant directory.
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
    - Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
  3. Here you find the following 3 files:
    - BaseSettings.xml
    - plugincache.xml
    - UserSettings.xml
  4. Delete all 3 files.

This will reset SDL Trados Studio to the factory defaults but may resolve the problem.

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders." Here are step-by-step instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Taru Laiho
Taru Laiho
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul, but... Jun 5, 2013

Unfortunately it doesn't help. I found the folder but there are no such files there! There is only another folder called "UserProfiles", which includes another folder, "Builtin", and which includes three files, Default.sdlprofile, SDL Trados.sdlprofile and SDLX.sdlprofile.

BR
Taru

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
English
In that case... Jun 5, 2013

... better wait for SDL Support to take a look. I'm sure they'll sort you out.

Regards

Paul

Taru Laiho
Taru Laiho
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jun 5, 2013

The problem was solved by SDL. It was caused by incompatibility with an update from windows (ID: KB2820331 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820331). The update is now deleted, and everything works just as it did before.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 does not open

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »