Context hash in TMX file
Thread poster: oZ-z-z-z

oZ-z-z-z
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:26
Jun 6, 2013

Good day!

I have a question regarging context representation in TMX file.
Is there a possibility to export TM in TMX with context of the source text, which will be presented not in hash code? For example, like this:
prop type="context_prev" Some_text_1 /prop

prop type="context_next" Some_text_2 /prop

seg Some_text_3 /seg

Or may be there is an information about hash algorith, using it I could decode hash codes of context?

[Edited at 2013-06-06 12:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-06 12:12 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
English
Not possible... Jun 6, 2013

... I'm afraid. Studio uses the hash codes so doesn't need the plain text.

Regards

Paul

oZ-z-z-z
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
Generation TMX with context compatible with Trados 2011 Jun 6, 2013

OK, but if I want to generate TMX file with context, which will be compatible with Trados 2011, what should I do? ofcourse, I don't want to lose info about context when importing in Trados

United Kingdom
English
Good question... Jun 6, 2013

.... and the ideal approach would be to use the bilingual files this originated from as these can be imported into a Studio TM and will take the context across. But many users don't keep these so if you only have a TMX then I'm not sure to be honest.

So if you don't have the bilingual files I'll see what I can find out and come back to you... in the meantime can you share a small sample of the TMX in question?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

oZ-z-z-z
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
TMX example Jun 6, 2013

I send an example to your e-mail.
Thanks for answer

Stepan

United Kingdom
English
Context Information Jun 6, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the TMX. We discussed this a bit internally and the problem about this is twofold:

Some text_1

Some text_2

Some text_3

First of all this seems to be based on source only so there is inadequate information to calculate the hash code as we use it because we also use the target context.

Secondly we also retain information in the hashcode relating to the document structure... so whether the segments were paragraph segments, list items, headers, index entries etc.

It may be possible to create a parsing tool using the OpenExchange that looks at these property elements and then uses these alone to calculate something Studio can use... perhaps placing a default document structure to this for this exercise... but this is something you would have to investigate if it was worth the effort or not. A further problem of course is that we could not really give these segments a Context Match as there is no target context to compare to.... so even if you did this the best match value would be 100%. So the entire exercise would be fruitless anyway in my opinion. See here for more on Context Matching in Studio : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-jJ

Of course if you can create a TMX with all the relevant property values for source, target and structure then creating a parsing tool through the OpenExchange may well be worth the effort... especially if you are going to get a lot of the same TMX type.

This is why the bilingual files are so useful if retained, because they can be used to create a TM that contains all the appropriate context information for Studio to use and the hash codes are calculated on import... because we know what the supported bilingual files look like (supported for this purpose anyway... SDLXLIFF, TTX, ITD).

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-06-06 16:18 GMT]

oZ-z-z-z
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
.sdlxliff format spec Jun 25, 2013

Good day!

I tried to learn how context is represented in .sdlxliff files, but not completely figure out.
Can you provide me some tech specification of this file format in relation to context?

Step

oZ-z-z-z
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
Waiting for answer Jul 1, 2013

oZ-z-z-z wrote:

Good day!

I tried to learn how context is represented in .sdlxliff files, but not completely figure out.
Can you provide me some tech specification of this file format in relation to context?

Step

Colleagues,

I'm still waiting for your answer...

Step

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context hash in TMX file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search