Cannot Update from External Review / Studio 2011
Thread poster: Capitaltrans
Capitaltrans
Local time: 19:21
Jun 7, 2013

I'm working in SDL Studio 2011 SP2, Word 2007. Exported sdlxliff file for External Review, got the Word file reviewed, then tried Updating from External Review. Did not work due to not being able to merge at segment 1 (I actually had the same error with another file about a week ago but was able to copy / paste into originally created review file to update). Used a workaround to copy the content into the original review file. It worked but now it says that it was unable to merge at segment 90. I checked, no missing tags / issues there.

Tried SDLXLIFF Converter to update the sdlxliff file. It did not work. I guess the review file should have been created from the Converter and not from Studio in order for it to work?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Lana

Direct link Reply with quote

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 12:21
German to English
+ ...
Try Converter again? Jun 7, 2013

Hi Lana, have you tried doing the whole process using the Converter? It's less sensitive than the built-in function. But I think you're right, if you're going to try it you should use it for both export and import.

These posts may also be relevant:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/18/the-sdlxliff-converter/

http://kb.sdl.com/?article=4590&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4590

Jayne

Capitaltrans
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 7, 2013

Dear Jayne,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I anticpated as much. I think you have to use the Converter for both export and import in order for it to work. I think I will have to enter the changes manually into sdlxliff, which is a shame. Seems like SDL still has glithches in this feature that could have been very helpful otherwise.

Lana

Capitaltrans
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Jun 7, 2013

Here is the workaround I came up with. I tried removing the cells (entire row) that was showing up as an error (error merging content at row 90, for example). Then I created another empty row and inserted the content from the file original exported (prior to review). It updated ok but then tripped on another row. So I repeated the step. Updated again and tripped on yet another row. Then I noticed that it was having a problem with rows that contained coding, at least most of them. Visually it did not look like anything was changed at all during the review process with regard to coding.

So I continued with removing the problem rows and pasting content from the unreviewed export. And it worked. Now of course you have to go over those problem segments in sdlxliff and enter the review changes manually. But at least it's much better than enter ALL of them manually.

Would not risk using this feature on a large project. Disappointed with functionality here. Will try the Converter next time. BTW, Memo-Q has absolutely no problem with exporting / importing similar files. At least this was my experience.

Lana

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:21
English
Can you share an example.. Jun 7, 2013

.. of the segment contents that fail?

Regard

Paul

Capitaltrans
TOPIC STARTER
Examples Jun 7, 2013

Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your feedback. After carefully studying the files and comparing them, I found that the built-in component had issues with the following types of coding:
Audit Checklist). GMP

If any such coding was as much as moved around (but still accurately present in the right place) during review, it would have a problem importing it resulting in an error. Do you think Converter would have an easier time? For some reason, in most files I tried in Studio 2011, I get an error about segment 1 (different files, different clients). In previous instances, I was able to simply copy the column into the export created prior to review and that would be fine, the last file had more issues (perhaps about 10 segments with errors, all contain some type of coding similar to above).

Thank you for your help.

Kindest regards,

Lana

United Kingdom
English
Handling tags in an exported for review file Jun 7, 2013

Capitaltrans wrote:

Thank you so much for your feedback. After carefully studying the files and comparing them, I found that the built-in component had issues with the following types of coding:
<pt250>Audit Checklist). GMP</pt250>

Hi Lana,

I tested with your code like this and it worked fine using the export for external review:

It sounds as though the problem may have been something else... and it occurred to me I'm probably being silly and that the code you are referring to is actually the representation of the tags in the exported file and not "code" written in the source file... so I did another test based on seeing this in the exported word file:

Translated and imported... and all still seems well:

So I think... that perhaps what you are doing is editing the red tags... assuming that your example really looked like this:

<pt250>Audit Checklist). GMP</pt250>

In which case perhaps the problem is that you have edited these tags and this you must not do?

Regards

Paul

Capitaltrans
TOPIC STARTER
Noted Jun 11, 2013

Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your response. I will keep this in mind.

Kindest regards,

Lana

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
English to German
I am having the same problem in 4 edited files (and the really big file is still to come up) Jun 16, 2013

Whenever I try to update from the edited file, I get a message that segment 1 does not work (and apparently the program is unable to go past segment 1). The code for page 1 of 2 was actually changed to 4 of 5 by the program, but I told the reviewer to ignore that, and he did.

The update does not work, and what is a minor problem with 947 words, will be a major problem with 6300 words that are to come up.

Some people seem to have dialogs that I do not have - it just asks for the specific file, I give it that, and it pretends at working only to come back with the error message.

Some people here talk about an "old converter tool" - what is that?

Thank you.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Then how should we edit red tags? Oct 14, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
So I think... that perhaps what you are doing is editing the red tags... assuming that your example really looked like this:

Audit Checklist). GMP

I've just noticed this thread, and it rang a bell, because I had a similar problem when I edited another translator's work in which his translation contained too many or incorrect red tags, and I naturally "fixed" them. Rows in which I had made any changes to the red tags refused to import back from external review. The thing is: what should we do if the red tags are really wrong and we feel the urge to fix them in the external review file?

United Kingdom
English
Resist the urge! Oct 14, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

The thing is: what should we do if the red tags are really wrong and we feel the urge to fix them in the external review file?

If there is a problem with the tags they need to be corrected in Studio where they can be handled properly. Why not just add a comment in Word so whoever gets the file back can make the change.

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paul Oct 14, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The thing is: what should we do if the red tags are really wrong and we feel the urge to fix them in the external review file?

If there is a problem with the tags they need to be corrected in Studio where they can be handled properly. Why not just add a comment in Word so whoever gets the file back can make the change?

Well, if there are tag errors then it means that those errors were made by the translator, which means that odds are the translator doesn't know how to do it right... so you may need to give very extensive instructions in the comment.

Also, the external review file doesn't always go back to the translator, so then it means that the PM would be the one stuck with fixing the tags, and PMs don't have time for that. Some PMs don't even have Trados, and they hope that the proofreader would deliver a version that is useable as-is.

Thanks for your answer.

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot Update from External Review / Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search