SDL Trados Studio Starter 2011: How do I create a TM or is it not possible with the Starter version?
Thread poster: Jo Rourke

Jo Rourke  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2013

Hi there,

I'm really sorry if this has already been covered, and if so, please just shoo me off with a link, but I am unsure as to how I create a Translation Memory in the Starter version of Trados. I understand that this version is limited in TUs to 5000, and I believe I can only have one TM at a time, but I was under the impression I could still create a TM. I previously used Wordfast or didn't use a CAT tool at all, so I am a newbie at this! The client has requested that I upload the TM afterwards, so I don't want to keep on with the translation if I'm not simultaneously creating a TM! (If it's possible!)

Thanks and sorry again if I'm repeating another forum post.

Jo

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Starter Edition is a pain with TMs... Jun 7, 2013

but you can still create them! If you go onto 'open document', select the file you want to translate, select the language combination and then click 'create' and 'file-based TM'. You can then name the TM and choose where to save it. As long as it's the only TM in the list (if not, remove the other one) it should work no problem. If you have trouble let me know and I could try to create a TM for you and send it.

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still having problems! Jun 8, 2013

Thanks so much for your reply, Charlotte. I have upgraded to the full Studio version, but I am still having problems. I followed the steps to create the TM but now I am checking and it says there are no translation units in it....I really don't understand this! I presume somewhere I have not checked the correct box for updating the TM as I translate, but I'm not sure where that box is! I have also noticed that it is not picking up on all of the matches that there are....for example, the organisation name features heavily in the document, but it never seems to come up as a match. Any help you can give is very, very much appreciated!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:26
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Blog post on updating Studio TMs Jun 8, 2013

Jo Rourke wrote:

I followed the steps to create the TM but now I am checking and it says there are no translation units in it....I really don't understand this! I presume somewhere I have not checked the correct box for updating the TM as I translate, but I'm not sure where that box is!

You may find some answers in a blog post I wrote called "SDL Trados Studio TM isn’t updating! My translation memory is empty!"
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

Hope it helps!
Emma

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help! Jun 8, 2013

Emma! That is so weird! I was just reading your blog post! Unfortunately I still cannot get my TM to display or update - I have no idea what I have done wrong!
I have two TMs assigned to the project (I think) and I have selected the Update checkbox, but still nothing is happening. I have also checked that the “Update translation memory” option is selected. Now, when it comes to knowing whether I am using a Project TM without realising, I do not know about this - how do I check this? I have also done Update Main Translation Memories & Finalize but that didn't have any effect either. I have also gone to View>Translation Memories, then File>Open>Translation Memory and gone to File>Import, but I am unsure if the file I have imported is the correct one. In the Project Settings box, my translation is showing up and I am also getting 100% matches, etc in my target, but the TM is still showing "No translation units to display". All that's left to say is...HELP!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio Starter 2011: How do I create a TM or is it not possible with the Starter version?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search