Thread poster: Ana Sofia Correia

Ana Sofia Correia  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
Jun 8, 2013

Hello all,

I use Trados Studio 2011 and I have a problem with the location where the project folder is automatically created when I open a package sent by a client.

Everytime I open a package, Studio automatically creates a folder and places it on the project folder that I created last time (for another past project/package) - and uses the name of that past project.

Since I have a work process where, after finishing my current work I move it to my client's folder, this always creates a new folder and, like I said, uses the name of that previous project. If the first project still exists on my on my current work location, it creates the new project folder there.

For example, if I finished a project on 07.06.13 and receive/open another project on 08.06.13, it creates the following structure: desktop > project07.06.2013 > project08.06.13 > ...

On the (very) small pop-up where we choose the project destination, I have to drag that folder to its correct place (and make sure that the path field below was updated - which sometimes doesn't) or create it on the right place and then delete the folder that was automatically created.

I know that this is not a major bug/issue but it is ver inconvenient. I was wondering if you could help me with a solution to keep this from happening. Ideally, I want to prevent this folder structure from being automatically created so I can choose where to create it instead of searching and draging incorrectly created and placed folders.

Thank you in advance for all the help you can give me!

Best regards,

Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Create new folder first Jun 8, 2013

I know this is rather disturbing. But I find STudio creates the project with the name of the package under Projects. I keep the packages and the return packages within the folder structure of the client and let Studio decide about the project location.

Ana Sofia Correia  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Create new folder first solves it but... Jun 8, 2013

Hi Heinrich,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem with letting Studio decide the project location is that I keep all my work in the D drive and Studio projects are created in My documents in C drive. I only keep programs in drive C: to avoid losing all my work in case something happens to corrup the C drive (it happened to me once, I'm not taking chances again!)...

Also, some clients ask me to send the return package and the sdlxliff file. If I let Studio decide the project's location and then create the return project of my current work location, I'll have to go to different locations to send the files (again, it is not a big issue, but is inconvenient).

But yes, you are right, creating the folder first in my preferred location would solve this issue (I just have to keep that in mind and remeber to create it first...)

Again, thank you for your input!

Best regards,

Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Folder creation when openning package

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search