Thread poster: Jan Kruse

Jan Kruse
Germany
Local time: 03:28
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2013

Hi,
sorry for dubble postings, I did not find any solution, although I guess, this could be a common problem.

I try to make an import of a 2007 TM, which will be converted into TMX and than imported by Studio 2011.

The TM contains 160.000 segments and the import speed is outrageous. It took my pc a whole night (!) to import half of it, bevor it stopped importing when I was sleeping.

What can I do about it?
Thanks in advance,
Jan

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
English
Most likely problem is because... Jun 12, 2013

... the TMX is not well formed, full of tag issues, duplicates etc. Did you try upgrading the TMW rather than exporting to TMX from Workbench first and then importing? Perhaps your version of Workbench is at play?

Just guessing really... but 160k TMX isn't large and shouldn't take this long so there is clearly a problem specific to you I think.

I can take a look if you can share your TMW files?

You can also use the 2007 TM provider to simply look up your TMW and don't upgrade it at all? maybe that would work for you?

SDL Trados 2007 Translation Memory Plug-in

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Jan, Jun 12, 2013

One way of fixing TMXs with errors is to run them through Xbench. I'm not sure what that would do with your metadata though so be careful. I often find that a TMX that won't import or upload somewhere can be fixed by importing it into Xbench and exporting it to a new TMX.

Michael

Matthew Butt
Local time: 02:28
French to English
+ ...
Slow TMX import - putting me off buying Apr 13

I thought I'd try out Trados on their 30-day trial, as I've been sent some pptm files to translate, which my usual CAT tool cannot handle. I'm currently importing a tmx of my memory. It has about 190,000 TUs. It's been importing it for over 4 hours, and has reached the 163,000 TU mark. The same tmx takes about 2 minutes to import into Wordfast, my usual CAT. If this is the best Trados can do, I don't think I'll be swapping over!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX import dead slow

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search