Jun 12, 2013

Hi,

I have a project with 19 files and the analysis is this:
Repetitions 17 035 words
100% 5791 words
(a few hundred fuzzies)
5907 no match
Total 29 632

My question is this: Does a certain percentage of repetitions imply translation? I mean, in order to be repeated, they have to be translated somewhere in the first place. If they were already in the memory, they would be in the 100% match. The first file I am doing was suposed to have 2 words no match, and 1689 repetitions. It seems more like the repetitions are new translations. I need to know what to do with it because the deadline may be way too short.

Thank you,

Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Jun 12, 2013

The repetitions are repeated instances of the sentences you will translate in the rest of match levels. They are sentences that appear again inside the project, so when you reach them within your project, their translation will already be in the translation memory.

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
New Jun 12, 2013

The last row of the analysis report is "New", showing you how many new words you have to translate. At least in Studio 2011 it is.

Anne Parent  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:58
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 12, 2013

But is it really possible to have so many repetitions +17 000 for only about 6000 no match/fuzzies? I just want to make sure I have no more words to translate than what is in the no match and fuzzies lines.

Thank you so much!

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Analysis order Jun 12, 2013

To accomodate the editor, I did not start the translation in the same order as the analysis. I guess that explains the current file has more to translate than it was supposed to...

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
repetitions Jun 12, 2013

It does seem like a lot of repetitions from so few non-matches. Can't you get an idea whether it is accurate by scrolling through the text?

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong order Jun 12, 2013

It definitely is different from the analysis, the file I am working on makes it obvious, but then again, it is not in the same order. I imagine SDL processes the files in the order. If I had 1000 words to translate at the begining but jumped to the third file, instead of 1000 repetitions, I might have 1000 no match, right? Eventually, I should catch up?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Normal in my opinion Jun 12, 2013

I have had this situation very often when the job involves a set of datasheets or documents for very similar products. Your best option is to examine the actual translatable files in their original format (PDF, Word, Excel...) for you to assess whether the files are similar and to exclude any potential confusion at the customer.

A big level of repetition can require a special strategy. With this level of repetition, your best bet would be to create a file containing the repetitions only, translate and have that reviewed, and add that to your memory. After this is done, you can quickly process the repeated parts of the files with confidence and perhaps save on the review effort of the files with high repetition rates. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that in Studio, but you will surely find a way.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jun 12, 2013

Anne Parent wrote:
It definitely is different from the analysis, the file I am working on makes it obvious, but then again, it is not in the same order. I imagine SDL processes the files in the order. If I had 1000 words to translate at the begining but jumped to the third file, instead of 1000 repetitions, I might have 1000 no match, right? Eventually, I should catch up?

Exactly. It does not really matter much what file you start with. Obviously what you translate now will make a repetition in the other files.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Export frequent segments Jun 12, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that in Studio, but you will surely find a way.

Simply tick a box called "Export frequent segments" in the "analyze file" batch tasks and choose the minimum number of occurrences that will be counted as a frequent segment.

Re: the high number of repetitions, as Tomás says, it's best to look at the source files. Sometimes this is due to lots of tables with numbers and/or ticks or crosses.

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jun 12, 2013

I rest assured!
It might be a high number of measurements...!

Thank you very much to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repetitions

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search