Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 13, 2013

G'day everyone

Later this month I'll translate a project with hundreds of SDLXLIFF files in nested folders. It would be much easier if I could merge some of these files, so that I can perform certain tasks in one file instead of twenty. Is there such a feature in Trados 2011?

It would be fantastic if I could filter e.g. untranslated segments for a whole bunch of files, or to set the status of segments to "Translated" for a whole lot of files at the same time.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Merge Jun 13, 2013

Dear Samuel,

You can merge files, but only during the stage of project creation (which is a major drawback imho). You'll not be able to add or remove files later.

You'll find the function in the window where you add source files to the project.

HTH,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2013-06-13 10:13 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So... Jun 13, 2013

efreitag wrote:
You can merge files, but only during the stage of project creation (which is a major drawback imho).

So if I understand you correctly, then I can only merge files that are not SDLXLIFF files. In other word, I can only merge files that are source text files -- is that correct? Do these source files then get merged into one massive SDLXLIFF file?

What I have are SDLXLIFF files, without the source files.

Samuel

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You can merge any source files Jun 13, 2013

Samuel,

you can merge source files of any kind (including sdlxliff). And yes, what you get is one big sdlxliff.

Kind regards,
Erik

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
A possible workaround... or two.. Jun 13, 2013

Hi Samuel,

What you may be able to do is use the Batch Search & Replace application that is installed with Studio. This has the ability to change the status of segments found here:

Depending on your filetype you can also make use of the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter... sounds an odd thing to suggest I know... but if the files are not too taggy (just to avoid fuzzy matches later) then you could use the Batch Search & Replace to set the status of the segments you want as locked for example, and then use the Legacy Converter to create TTX files from your Project which you could then merge in a new Project, translate them, and then use the TM to pretranslate across your original files.

Messy I know... but perhaps some of this may give you a few ideas for now.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Setting status... Jun 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
It would be fantastic if I could filter e.g. untranslated segments for a whole bunch of files, or to set the status of segments to "Translated" for a whole lot of files at the same time.

I suppose I could also write a small script that performs the following two actions on all SDLXLIFF files:

1. Find: conf=".+"
Replace: nothing

2. Find: <sdl:seg (don't forget the space at the end)
Replace: <sdl:seg conf="Translated"

Edited:

Like so:
http://leuce.com/autoit/Set%20all%20SDLXLIFF%20to%20translated.zip

[Edited at 2013-06-13 15:41 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to split merged files? Jun 21, 2013

efreitag wrote:
You can merge source files of any kind (including sdlxliff). And yes, what you get is one big sdlxliff.

Thanks! I've done that, but now I can't figure out how to unmerge them again? I have one big SDLXLIFF file, so how do I split them up into little files again?

Thanks
Samuel

== Added:

Oh, dear. I have just realised that my problem is the same as this one:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/219545-unmerging_splitting_merged_sdlxliff_files_in_studio_2011.html
...which was a bug at that time, and (if I understand correctly) hasn't been fixed yet.

[Edited at 2013-06-21 06:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to set status for hundreds of SDLXLIFF files

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search