MultiTerm 2011 Import/Export problems
Thread poster: Paul Hulsman

Paul Hulsman  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Member (2013)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2013

I am using multiple MultiTerm termbases that all have the same structure.

I create new ones with the same termbase definition each time. I import fully compliant XML code (at least, until recently) I create in FileMaker.
Lately, this has not worked properly. My terms have two descriptive fields: INFO en SOURCE.
Whenever a term has both, the import log gives the following error message:

1379 Does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason: Node is not multiple
Source: descrip

Although the content of both is imported, they are not displayed correctly.
Instead of:

INFO note spelling
SOURCE Collins, 2011

I get:

INFO note spellingCollins, 2011

I looked at my XML code for a long time and compared it with an export file from a termbase in which the fields are displayed correctly but I could not discover any differences.

Then I decided to re-import the XML file created with Catalog>Export>Default export definition option.
And sure enough: now the fields are displayed incorrectly!

Surely this must be a bug. However, how can I work around it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:14
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Change index names Jul 13, 2013

Make sure your index fields have the same names as your Excel table columns, i. e. the first row in your Excel file
There are some old posts about this problem for Trados 2007 but the same applies today.
I don't know how it works for XML directly, but when I changed the first row in the xls file to 'German' (not DE) and 'Dutch' (not NL) then converted to XML then imported in the 2011 termbase, it worked fine. Before that, I had the same error as you had.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Hulsman  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Member (2013)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Importing process, not the index names, is the problem Jul 14, 2013

Dear Akke,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm not importing from Excel, I'm using XML code I generate with a database program. And the problem is not the terms (i.e. the language codings) but my descriptive fields. Which luckily makes this a minor nuisance and not a major problem.

But what puzzles me most is that MultiTerm does not correctly import the XML export code it generates itself!
To wit:
1) I export the terms from a termbase - in which the fields are displayed correctly - with the Default import definition.
2) I create a new termbase based on the original one.
3) I import the terms I exported earlier with the Default export definition.
4) Now my fields are displayed incorrectly in the new termbase.

Very strange!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2011 Import/Export problems

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search