XML comments handling on Trados 2009 and 2011
Thread poster: kimchupa

kimchupa
South Korea
Local time: 17:15
Jun 14, 2013

Hi! I'm new here, but I got a bit of experieneces on CAT

I've been using Trados 2007 for a while and started using 2009 and 2011 and I'm currently stuck with XML comments using Trados 2009 and 2011

For example if I have a source XML file such as

<root>
<data1>Translate me 1</data1>
<!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> -->
<data2>Translate me 2</data2>
<data3>Translate me 3</data3>
</root>

where an XML comment exist between tags.

If I translate this file with Trados 2007 and get the target translated file by clean-up I would get exact the same format and structure of the source such as

<root>
<data1>Translation complete1 </data1>
<!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> -->
<data2>Translation complete2</data2>
<data3>Translation complete3</data3>
</root>

However if I translate it using Trados 2009 or 2011 and get the target translated file, the comment part loses its line-break such as

<root>
<data1>Translation complete1 </data1><!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> --><data2>Translation complete2</data2>
<data3>Translation complete3</data3>
</root>

I was wondering if there is a way to keep the comments part as the original just like Trados 2007

Thanks for your help in advance.

[Edited at 2013-06-14 04:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxWim Roose  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:15
English to Flemish
+ ...
Set whitespace to 'always preserve' Jun 14, 2013

Hi,

What you could do is change the 'Tag type' for the element 'root' to 'structure' (if this is not already the case) in the XML file type you defined, and change its 'Whitespace' setting to 'always preserve'. This should cause all whitespace in the element 'root' and all underlying elements (including comments) to be preserved. I did a short test in SDL Trados Studio 2009 using your example and it seems to work.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML comments handling on Trados 2009 and 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search