XML comments handling on Trados 2009 and 2011
Thread poster: kimchupa
kimchupa
South Korea
Local time: 09:45
Jun 14, 2013

Hi! I'm new here, but I got a bit of experieneces on CAT

I've been using Trados 2007 for a while and started using 2009 and 2011 and I'm currently stuck with XML comments using Trados 2009 and 2011

For example if I have a source XML file such as

<root>
<data1>Translate me 1</data1>
<!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> -->
<data2>Translate me 2</data2>
<data3>Translate me 3</data3>
</root>

where an XML comment exist between tags.

If I translate this file with Trados 2007 and get the target translated file by clean-up I would get exact the same format and structure of the source such as

<root>
<data1>Translation complete1 </data1>
<!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> -->
<data2>Translation complete2</data2>
<data3>Translation complete3</data3>
</root>

However if I translate it using Trados 2009 or 2011 and get the target translated file, the comment part loses its line-break such as

<root>
<data1>Translation complete1 </data1><!-- <data1>Testing Data</data1> --><data2>Translation complete2</data2>
<data3>Translation complete3</data3>
</root>

I was wondering if there is a way to keep the comments part as the original just like Trados 2007

Thanks for your help in advance.

[Edited at 2013-06-14 04:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxWim Roose  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 02:45
English to Flemish
+ ...
Set whitespace to 'always preserve' Jun 14, 2013

Hi,

What you could do is change the 'Tag type' for the element 'root' to 'structure' (if this is not already the case) in the XML file type you defined, and change its 'Whitespace' setting to 'always preserve'. This should cause all whitespace in the element 'root' and all underlying elements (including comments) to be preserved. I did a short test in SDL Trados Studio 2009 using your example and it seems to work.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML comments handling on Trados 2009 and 2011

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search