How long will it take to reinstall SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and SDL Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2013

How long will it take to reinstall SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and SDL Trados Studio 2011?

I have some time free this evening for once, and will leave on a train journey tomorrow morning. Would be nice to have my Trados reinstalled with French as one of my five languages instead of Spanish. Just wonder if I will have enough time tonight? Can I finish it in a few hours?

Should I first uninstall, using Trados own uninstaller, and then use install again?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Minutes, not hours Jun 15, 2013

Hi Fredrik,

- You don't have to uninstall Trados 2007 if the aim of this is to change your 5 languages in Studio.

- If you haven't got the .exe file for Studio on your computer, go to "My Account" on the SDL website and download it. The download time depends on your connection speed.

- Once you know you've got the .exe file on your computer, go to the Control Panel and uninstall "Studio 2011 Remove suite of products". (You don't need to return the license if you're just uninstalling and installing Studio). That should take 5-10 minutes.

- Install Studio from the .exe file. That should take 10-15 minutes.

Of course, these times depend on your computer specs.

HTH,
Emma

P.S. I'm not sure if Studio installs the very latest version or whether it would be worth running "check for updates" when Studio is up and running again.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It depends... Jun 15, 2013

It depends on several things:
1) whether you have the installation files or not. If you need to download then the time it will take to download them depends on your internet connection.
2) You computer specs, if for you example you have an SSD the installation itself would be faster.
Overall, it should not take more than a couple of hours (including downloading the file) or one to one an a half hours (if you already have the installation files), including tweaking the program settings. If you don't have the installation files I suggest that you download them as soon as possible (just download them in the background) so you will have them ready when you need them.

Would be nice to have my Trados reinstalled with French as one of my five languages instead of Spanish

If you are only interested in changing the languages, then no need to uninstall anything, and you can accomplish this much quicker. You can reset Studio 2011, and although I'm not aware of any similar easy way to do this in Trados 2007, you might find the following discussion useful How to change default 5 languages (Note: be careful when editing the registry and do it only if you feel comfortable with it. If you do try this, make sure to backup the registry first).

Edit: Emma beat me to it

[Edited at 2013-06-15 12:07 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have the installation files already downloaded, but will try resetting Studio and change registry Jun 15, 2013

Hi Emma and Shai,

and thanks for your suggestions. I actually already have the installation files downloaded, but I've had issues several times before with returning and activating the license keys, so I will try Shai's suggestion to reset Studio and change registry for WB, sounds really convenient.

I'm only interested in changing the languages (swap my Spanish for French instead, plus keeping my other four languages). But need it changed for both WB and Studio as I quite often get TM-files for WB that I need to upgrade.

There was even the hex code for French in the link from Shai, will try it now.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't work with resetting Studio Jun 15, 2013

I just tried now to follow the three steps in the instructions for resetting Studio, but when I then started Studio, this window for setting up Studio for the first time was displayed, and I could choose profile. So I thought that next I would be able to select the languages. But immediately after that, Studio just started with the old languages.

I didn't delete any files, only renamed them. Should I have deleted them instead?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading to SP2 Jun 15, 2013

By the way, will I get any chance to change languages when upgrading Studio to SP2? I haven't done that yet, so then I could as well download SP2 now, upgrade and change languages.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sorry Jun 15, 2013

I could swear that I remember that the last time I had to reset Studio 2011 I was prompted to choose the languages again.
I have now tried it and as you reported, I was not prompted to choose the languages. I might have done something that triggered the language selection, that now skips my mind.
I apologize for that.
In this case, Emma's suggestion is probably the best option.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
If I recall correctly, yes Jun 15, 2013

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
By the way, will I get any chance to change languages when upgrading Studio to SP2? I haven't done that yet, so then I could as well download SP2 now, upgrade and change languages.

[Edited at 2013-06-15 13:50 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should I return the licenses first? Jun 15, 2013

I've had a look at the instruction video for deactivating Studio and returning the license, but it's a bit unclear to me: "...if you plan to use Studio on a new or formatted machine, you should deactivate Studio and return the license".

In that case, it seems I don't need to deactivate Studio and return the license, just uninstall Studio from Control Panel, reboot and install again. And the same for Trados Workbench 2007? Or am I wrong? Do I, in both cases, need to deactivate and return the licenses first? Even though it's the same machine? Will the language selection option be dependent on whether I return the licenses or not?

[Edited at 2013-06-15 13:59 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Option "Borrow or return ..." is grey shaded in Workbench license manager Jun 15, 2013

In Studio 2011, it seems straightforward: just Help, and deactivate before uninstalling and reinstalling.

But in Workbench license manager, the option for "Borrow or return ..." is shaded in grey, so I can't select it. Even though all my licenses are listed there in the License manager window.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Whenever I can I prefer to return the license before reinstalling Jun 15, 2013

...just to be on the safe side.
Returning the license should not have anything to do with the language selection menu.

Returning the licenses is really simple.
For Trados 2007 do it through the License Manager > View Activated Licenses
For Studio 2011 click Help > Product Activation > Deactivate

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything clear now Jun 15, 2013

Ok, it shouldn't be any trouble now: I have the three installation files in C: (can keep them there in case I need to change languages again), and not complicated to return the licenses at all. Probably I had trouble with this earlier because I forgot to return the licenses first.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A few more comments Jun 15, 2013

SP2 is the version you should download from "My Account". There shouldn't be any other option.

You don't need to uninstall 2007 or return its licences. It's got nothing to do with Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search