Combined font issues in MsWord (via Studio 2011)
Thread poster: Tony Steiner
Tony Steiner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:31
Jun 18, 2013

Hi SDL Support, Studio users,

A lot of us have issues with fonts in MsWord once the translation in sdlxliff is finalised and "saved target as" in MsWord from Studio. I am trying to provide as much info as possible....

Example: a simple form or letter translated in Traditional Chinese. Source file: docx using Studio 2011.

Studio will apply PMingliu for Traditional Chinese which is fine. In the translations you can have some English words (references to English books or English forms), those words look odd as MsWord applies the same font to all words (inherited from Studio), which is obviously wrong.
Usually in order to solve those issues, you either go to "fonts" in MsWord and apply a combined fonts (Asian Text font & Font), for instance PMingliu and Arial. It works perfectly when the document is not generated by Studio.

However Studio would apply PMingliu on absolutely all words and create specific MsWord style and paragraph templates for that document... due to these extra settings (out of our control so far), every single time you need to reformat a final Word document created by Studio, it is merely impossible to update fonts directly in MsWord.

Example: when you select a Word, a sentence or a paragraph and want to change/update the font, say from PMingliu to Mingliu or just apply an Arial font instead to an English word, it is just not doing anything, it keeps the same font, i.e. PMingliu in my case.
It stays as is... This is extremely annoying as it lacks flexibility on our end to reformat as required...
I suspect that Studio creates "style" templates in MsWord and applies those templates in the background...

Could SDL give us a guide or procedure to avoid these issues with MsWord? It is certainly linked to Studio font mapping. It seems that Studio does not managed combined fonts properly in the default settings (Am I right?).
Is there a way to update the font/style mapping created by Studio for MsWord?

I did a few tests in Project settings , tried to add a 2nd target font to Chinese (Taiwan), Studio would not allow me to add any...

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tony

Direct link Reply with quote

Yuka Matsui
Japan
Local time: 05:31
English to Japanese
+ ...
May help solving your issue Aug 22, 2013

I had the same peoblem and found the topic below.
The solution was perfect for me.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244984-how_can_i_not_change_the_font_help.html#2107333

Hope this is relevant to your problem too.

Yuka

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Combined font issues in MsWord (via Studio 2011)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search