Following a 'System out of Memory Error' cant open file.
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Italian to English
Jun 18, 2013

I am using Trados Studio 2011 Freelance on a computer with XP.

After a 'system out of memory error' I find I cannot reopen the file.

I get this error message: Unexpected error when detecting file type for file (file name). Sudden file end. The following elements not closed: internal-file, reference, header, file, xliff. Line 1453, position 1.

I tried redoing the file and using the Project TM which worked. I almost completed review and then it happened again. Any ideas what I can do?

TIA
Eileen

Charlotte Langbeen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:18
Member (2002)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you find a solution? Sep 13, 2013

I am having the same problem. So very frustrating.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no Sep 13, 2013

The file was completely corrupted and I had to start over. I spoke to SDL and it seems to some extent a question of the fact that I am working on an old (relatively) computer with XP. It seems that no matter how much memory you have the computer can only use a certain amount and thus there just isn't enough RAM. Mine was an extremely large file. They seem to work better if they are split up.

Anyway I do get this error message often after working for several hours and then try to create a new project or something memory hungry. If I just exit Trados and then reboot, whatever I was trying to do seems to work fine. I guess I had other things blocking the memory.

Anyway this is my workaround until I buy a new computer
Eileen

Martina-K  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Same problem here Sep 13, 2013

Hello,

I had the same problem with a huge project on my XP computer just a few weeks ago. SDL support came up with the same information, i.e. not enough RAM for saving the file at that very moment. My workaround for that project was to close everything except for Studio and the PDF file I needed (luckily I have a laptop where I could do the on-line research).
SDL support recommended the following computer configuration to me:

- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Intel Core i5 or i7 4th Gen
- 8 GB RAM (better 16 GB)

Kind regards,
Martina

Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Newer computer not necessarily the answer Sep 14, 2013

Hi Martina,

I have the configuration SDL recommended to you (i7 + 8GB) and I am still stuck. Seems like the file is simply too large (16,000+ words proofreading job). I thought I had a solution when I found SDL XLIFF Split/Merge. The program has been working for over an hour to split the file. The entire time the progress bar was stuck in the same place. In the end, all I got out of the exercise is a splitting headache.icon_smile.gif Time to give up, I suppose.

Have a nice weekend!

Inge

Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Update on the SDL XLIFF Split/Merge Sep 15, 2013

I finally figured out the reason the App did not work: I had asked it to split the corrupted file. I started with a clean one and it worked. SDL XLIFF Split/Merge was a lifesaver and I recommend it wholeheartedly. The fact that it is free makes it even better.

Inge

Krzysztof Pawliszak
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not all is lost Oct 25, 2013

I've just managed to recreate the file and use TM to populate it.
I was doing some final touches, run QA and wanted to save the file. I was prompted with 'system out of memory error' and something like "Unexpected
error when detecting file type for file xxx: Unexpected end of file has
occurred. The following elements are not closed: internal-file,
reference, header, file, xliff. Line xxxxx, position 8."

There is a solution to this problem.
Extract the original Trados package using WinRAR to a new directory. Open .sdlxliff file in question in Trados (using Open document... option). Selected TMs from the original directory (ie. with translations). Pretranslate or manually update segments. Save the file. Finally just copy/move it and replace the corrupted file (the corrupted file is small: mine was like 500kb whereas normal file was ca. 6Mb). Now you can open Trados > Open the project > Open file in question to update it in the project and make sure everything is there.

HTH!

andreiafonso
Brazil
system out of memory Nov 6, 2013

hello!

I am new to Trados.

I am working with the 2014 version and I just got this message:

"system out of memory exception" and the software simply froze.

my windows system has 6 giga of RAM and half tera of physical memory so I really don't understand...

can you help me?

thank you very, very much

Andreia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Following a 'System out of Memory Error' cant open file.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search