Trados 2011 not picking up repetitions
Thread poster: John Kennedy

John Kennedy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2013

The project has an activated TM but repetitions are not being picked up. Even simple repeated single-word elements are met with "No matches found". Trados 2011 is not really intuitive so I imagine I need to fiddle around with some complexity or other. Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:57
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Need to activate "Update" Jun 19, 2013

I had this problem when I first started using Studio. If it is what I think, then is easy. You have to make sure that in the list of your TMs, the check box "Update" is checked.

Tools - Options - Language combinations - Choose your combination and all your Tms should be there. Note that there are a few checkboxes (activated, check....) and last one is Update (I guess, mine is in Spanish).

I believe this should solve the problem!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still problems Jun 19, 2013

Many thanks for the information. I did have the TM within the project setting and it was ticked for update. However, when I looked under language pairs as you suggested there were no TMs listed and the "Add" facility was deactivated. There was an old TM under "All language pairs" and I was able to add the new TM. The TM now appears under the Norwegian-English language pair but the icon for the TM is deactivated (update is ticked) and it hasn't made any difference - still no picking up of repeats. I imagine a solution will "eventually" arise!

MKramer
United States
Local time: 13:57
Confirm the Segment Jun 19, 2013

In my experience with the translation pieces of Studio (and I could be completely incorrect), once you have finished one of the segments, you need to 'Confirm the segment' (Ctrl + Enter) to be added to the TM. If you do this on the first rep, it SHOULD come up on the next one with the translation inserted.

Might want to try it and see if it works!

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not quite Jun 19, 2013

Well, I tried confirming the first segment then the first repetition but at this stage in the translation I don't have any second repetitions, so I don't know if that works. I remember that in Wordfast it just happened automatically. But many thanks anyway.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl - Enter Jun 19, 2013

Actually you may well be right about Ctrl - Ent, which I wasn't using to move from segment to segment (my TM was empty). Unfortunately I've discovered that with my PC and keyboard this command doesn't work and I've noticed that other people have experienced the same problem in the past. They appeared to resolve it by an adustment to certain system files, but that wasn't in Windows 8!

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
ctrl-alt-ent Jun 20, 2013

ctrl-ent takes me to the next unconfirmed segment of the text. To confirm the segment you're on use ctrl-alt-ent.

This is for Studio 2011, latest version, but I have Windows 7 and not Windows 8.

May your problem be this simple!!!!!

Filipa XX

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works Jun 22, 2013

Yes, ctrl-alt-ent works! Being new to Trados I had confirmed all the segments (using the "confirm" icon) after checking through them at the end of the translation, not realizing that one needs to confirm during the translation in order to get text into the TM if it's to be of use when one is actually translating.

Many thanks Filipa - John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 not picking up repetitions

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search