Trados 2011 - export/import between language variant TMs?
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:40
French to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2013

Hi, I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is possible, and how.

I have a Chilean Spanish TM that I created for a given project, and since I've been working on it, I have found that there is nothing Chilean about it, it should be in my straight Spanish one. I tried a normal export/import, but the import (understandably) is rejected due to different source languages.

Is there a way round it?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There may be differences... Jun 19, 2013

... you are not aware of due to how placeables or variables are handled in this flavour. There may not be any differences in your content either... but it's hard to know!

So you could use the AnyTM app from the openexchange which allows you to use the Chilean TM as a read only TM in addition to using your Spanish TM for update. This is useful because you can create project templates that are set up already and then you never have to mess around with the TMs irrespective of which language flavour you work in.

You can find an article on this here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-lu

If you don't want to do that then export to TMX and change the language codes with a text editor. So look for es-CL and replace with es-ES.

Regards

Paul

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Paul Jun 20, 2013

The read-only option is very interesting Paul, thanks. I also suspected I might be able to edit the exported files, but certainly didn't want to venture into that without advice!

As you say, there may be differences I am not aware of, so I shall certainly look at the AnyTM app.

Thanks for all your help, as ever

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 - export/import between language variant TMs?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search