Studio 9 stopped working
Thread poster: Paul Carmichael

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
Jun 19, 2013

I used to use Studio 2009 as 2011 was too buggy, but then 2011 seemed to iron out a few creases and I went back to using that. Today I needed to use 2009 again, as I was having that problem about 2011 complaining that a document isn't billingual so it can't be opened. But when I loaded up 2009 it said my trial was up and I should register it. I went to the Trados website and got the serial number, put it into the dialogue and it said "product now licensed". Then on starting 2009, I get "You need a license" and it bombs out.

Any ideas out there?


 

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:15
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Studio 9 stopped working Jun 21, 2013

Hi Paul,

When you upgraded your Studio 2009 license, the activation was replaced by the new Studio 2011 license activation. It is no longer possible to activate or use the older legacy Studio 2009 version.
Unlike SDL Trados Studio 2009- Studio 2011allows you to accept practically all file formats and export to source.
Please ensure that you have downloaded and installed the service pack 2 from your SDL My Account/My Downloads. If you are still having problems, please let me know and we can help you further.

Kind regards

Steve


 

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I used it before Jun 21, 2013

SDL_Steve wrote:

Hi Paul,

When you upgraded your Studio 2009 license, the activation was replaced by the new Studio 2011 license activation. It is no longer possible to activate or use the older legacy Studio 2009 version.
Unlike SDL Trados Studio 2009- Studio 2011allows you to accept practically all file formats and export to source.
Please ensure that you have downloaded and installed the service pack 2 from your SDL My Account/My Downloads. If you are still having problems, please let me know and we can help you further.

Kind regards

Steve


I used 2009 with no problem for quite a while after deciding that 2011 was just too slow and buggy. Then I went back to 2011 when it seemed that the bugs had been ironed out somewhat. But there is a known issue with opening some word docs where it refuses to load the doc, saying that it is not billingual. Apparently, 2009 doesn't have this bug. People are currently having to convert docs to rtf before Trados 2011 will open them. That's not really good enough, is it?


 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:15
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Did you return Studio 2009's licence? Jun 21, 2013

If you did, then you are stuck! As far as I know, Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 can be used simultaneously, but if you return Studio 2009's licence, then you can't use it anymore, because it gets superseded by Studio 2011. I use both at the same time, but I won't be able to do that anymore if I, for example, change PC for whatever reason. This is mentioned somewhere in a thread here on the forums... if I'm wrong, then please feel free to correct me.

 

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing changed Jun 21, 2013

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

If you did, then you are stuck! As far as I know, Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 can be used simultaneously, but if you return Studio 2009's licence, then you can't use it anymore, because it gets superseded by Studio 2011. I use both at the same time, but I won't be able to do that anymore if I, for example, change PC for whatever reason. This is mentioned somewhere in a thread here on the forums... if I'm wrong, then please feel free to correct me.


I used to use the two at the same time. The only thing that has changed since, is I upgraded to the "freelance plus" thing just in case this machine goes wrong ie; I have copies of all my SDL stuff on a spare machine.


 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:15
Member (2004)
English to Italian
mmm... Jun 21, 2013

that's obviously the problem, but I couldn't tell you why. If you haven't returned the licence, it should still work, unless SDL has changed the policy recently and by upgrading after that you lost your Studio 2009's licence.

I just tried 2009 and still works on my PC.


Paul Carmichael wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

If you did, then you are stuck! As far as I know, Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 can be used simultaneously, but if you return Studio 2009's licence, then you can't use it anymore, because it gets superseded by Studio 2011. I use both at the same time, but I won't be able to do that anymore if I, for example, change PC for whatever reason. This is mentioned somewhere in a thread here on the forums... if I'm wrong, then please feel free to correct me.


I used to use the two at the same time. The only thing that has changed since, is I upgraded to the "freelance plus" thing just in case this machine goes wrong ie; I have copies of all my SDL stuff on a spare machine.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 9 stopped working

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search