SDL ATS provider failing
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:53
French to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2013

Hi, a sudden rash of questions from me. I have always had intermittent problems with the ATS provider, but I have now not been able to contact it for several days, project preparation is failing because i cannot access it, please, any suggestions urgently?

(Lastest, 'Translation Provider threw exception' at 'Analyse Perfect Match' stage of project preparation - first time this has happened to me, but have not been able to access ATS within editor for days)

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try SDL BeGlobal... Jun 19, 2013

... as this is the better solution. Do you get the same problem with this?

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 20, 2013

Hi again. They are both working at the moment - as mentioned, the ATS one has always been sporadic. I don't know why I stopped using Global, certainly it is working and I'm working with it at the moment, I am able to compare the quality of the two and Global is looking better (sometimes the ATS one has better turns of phrase).

I would like to update the Global one, my part for the community, but I am worried about doing it, because after all the documents we work on are under privacy agreements most of the time. How does it work (I'm sure I should just go and search for other questions on that subject, but I'm here and being immediate, sorry)

Thanks!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sounds as though you may have network issues maybe? Jun 20, 2013

Sian Cooper wrote:

I would like to update the Global one, my part for the community, but I am worried about doing it, because after all the documents we work on are under privacy agreements most of the time. How does it work.

Hi Sian,

You can't update this. It is Machine Translation so it is based on a science behind the scenes that has been based on such significant amounts of data, and scientific algorithms, that corrections from individual translators are really not useful.

We have solutions called BeGlobal Trainer that an organisation can purchase that allows them to train their own Machine Translation engines using their Translation Memories once they have sufficient content available to do this.

But you are using the free engines that are available to the community and there is no feedback loop for this. Primarily, and there is no offence intended, because we would have to check every segment to make sure it was correct, otherwise we would risk having poor translations being used for training, even if this did provide the sort of volumes and industry specific material required.

It's also worth noting that when you use Machine Translation you are sending the contents of your documents (that may be under privacy agreements) to the vendor of the Machine Translation engine you use. This has to happen because otherwise they can't translate it!

So when you say you are worried about sending material for update, please be aware that you are already sending the source. SDL are not interested and we don't keep it, but Google for example are interested... not necessarily because they want to steal secrets, but because they analyse the information for their own purposes... whatever they may be.

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points Jun 20, 2013

Thanks Paul - emminently sensible and quite appreciate that it would be too excessive a task to validate the quality of every translator's work, I should have thought of that myself.

I use Google translate only for inspiration on very partial phrases or single words so I'm personally happy they can't get any private information from me. I have complete faith in the SDL privacy/extraction parameters, although I guess if someone really wanted to they could hack into the connection. Maybe if I were working on defence secrets I'd worry, but they are all in controlled environments anyway!

Re network problems - I have assumed this since the connection problems have been happening, but that has been for months - and months - intermittent - but nothing else has had connection issues at that time (so, internet, wireless printers etc.). It also happens to me wherever I am, i.e. from different wireless networks in different locations. So if there is a connection issue, it is on the specific path between me and the SDL ATS server, but external to my general network.

I'll see if the same thing happens on the Global one, let's hope not

Thanks again for your help.

[Edited at 2013-06-20 11:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-20 11:02 GMT]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happens on Global (less) - with some error detail Jun 20, 2013

Hi again Paul. I'm having mostly a good time with the Global service, with some intermittant and short cuts. I can't copy paste from the view, sadly, but there is one with what might be helpful detail (if I knew what it meant!)

"An error has occured whilst using the translation provider SDL BeGlobal Community: The SDL BeGlobal server returned the following err: 1002 invalid API call. Path: v1/language-pairs/33/translations/680b3e67b71dd4c7f95a41bf30594e.8245"

OK, I don't guarantee I got that last string right...

Generally I just get 'unable to connect to remote server' messages.

Any thought? Thanks as ever

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL ATS provider failing

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search