Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 20, 2013

Hi All,

I've been having tons of redline projects with very large files and tight turnaround time lately, which require translators and reviewers to work with daily partial deliveries to ensure that all content is fully TEPed on time.

The thing is, if you have one or several large files (with a word count like over 20K), working with partially populated/unpopulated segments is really a very messy sort of business so the best thing would really be to split the files into
... See more
Hi All,

I've been having tons of redline projects with very large files and tight turnaround time lately, which require translators and reviewers to work with daily partial deliveries to ensure that all content is fully TEPed on time.

The thing is, if you have one or several large files (with a word count like over 20K), working with partially populated/unpopulated segments is really a very messy sort of business so the best thing would really be to split the files into several smaller ones for the partial deliveries.

I could do that manually (splitting the source DOCX file into other files with less pages) but it would take me such a long time to do it that it'd become almost as messy as the partially translated deliveries... Which brings me to the reason why I'm posting here - I came across this SDL XLIFF Split and Merge app at SDL's Open Exchange section, but it never actually seems to work.

If I manage to split my Studio 2011 SDLXLIFFs (which almost never happens) I can never get them to merge, which means I have to resort to the workaround of pretranslating the big one all over again with the final TM and go over tags and numbers to make sure everything's where it's supposed to be.

I usually get one of the following errors:

Failed.
ERROR: Unexpected file structure. Please, try to resave the file in SDL Trados Studio 2009 and try again.

Failed.
ERROR: No files to merge found in directory XYZ.

The thing is, I happen to be using the app's specific version for Studio 2011 and I don't have 09 available, so I can't really just recreate the bilingual in that structure.

Also, the split files ARE in the specified directory... So what's going on here?

I was wondering if anyone's had this same error as me when using this Open Exchange app with the 2011 SDLXLIFF format and, if so, what did you do to fix it? I am overlooking something here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

App demo Jun 20, 2013

Hi Mariel

I work for SDL so hopefully I can help.

Firstly can I ask when you downloaded the app? We had an update to it a while back so I just want to check that you have the latest version.

Last year I demonstrated the split/merge app on one of my webinars so it may be useful to watch the recording to check that you are following the same steps. The split/merge demo is about 7.30 minutes into the recording
... See more
Hi Mariel

I work for SDL so hopefully I can help.

Firstly can I ask when you downloaded the app? We had an update to it a while back so I just want to check that you have the latest version.

Last year I demonstrated the split/merge app on one of my webinars so it may be useful to watch the recording to check that you are following the same steps. The split/merge demo is about 7.30 minutes into the recording and here is the link:

http://downloadcentre.sdl.com/tridion/webex/23-04-2012-discover-the-new-apps-on-sdl-openexchange.arf

Also just a note that if you do want to watch the recording then you will need the latest version of the webex player installed, which you can download here:
https://akamaicdn.webex.com/client/WBXclient-T27L10NSP32EP1-13926/nbr2player.msi

I hope this helps.

Kate
Collapse

MKramer
MKramer
United States
Local time: 14:54
Same issue Jun 26, 2013

Hello,
I am having the exact same issue. We just downloaded the app from OpenExchange this morning. I have tried this on a large file (130,000 words) and also on a smaller file (250 words). I have tried everything I can think of to get this to split and nothing is working.

I am using Studio 2011 SP2R 10.4.3079.1. Windows 7. I could use this before, when we were on Windows XP. Is the version of Windows a possible problem?

Looking forward to any help!
MK

MKramer
MKramer
United States
Update - it's Not working on XP either Jun 26, 2013

Cancel that troubleshoot - it doesn't work on Windows XP either.

I know I have used this before, so now I am wondering why I can't now.

Hope someone has a solution!
Thanks for help!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
English
Couple of things... Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

Support for OpenExchange Apps is best achieved by contacting the developer through the OpenExchange website. You'll find a support tab for each app and in there you'll find contact details for the developer.

Regards

Paul

MKramer
MKramer
United States
Possible Solution Jun 27, 2013

Paul, I have contacted SDL, per the support page. Unfortunately, since the Open Exchange Apps are 'enhancements', it is unknown when I would get a reply. For example, this is the auto-reply message that I got:

The support offered by the SDL sdk-feedback Team is complementary to our development community. The timing of our replies may vary but we will always endeavour to provide feedback within one week of receiving your initial request.

Sometimes I do not have
... See more
Paul, I have contacted SDL, per the support page. Unfortunately, since the Open Exchange Apps are 'enhancements', it is unknown when I would get a reply. For example, this is the auto-reply message that I got:

The support offered by the SDL sdk-feedback Team is complementary to our development community. The timing of our replies may vary but we will always endeavour to provide feedback within one week of receiving your initial request.

Sometimes I do not have one week to receive a reply. Luckily, in this instance, I have a fantastic team of translators that knew how to get around it...

Open the Bilingual in Editor View of Studio. Put SOMETHING in the first segment (a space, the Source, a translation, ANYTHING). Confirm the segment, save the bilingual, THEN Split the file.

I hope this works for others! I know that I have spent a HUGE amount of time trying to get it to work.
All the best,
MK
Collapse

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Splitting files with populated segments Jul 3, 2013

MKramer wrote:

Open the Bilingual in Editor View of Studio. Put SOMETHING in the first segment (a space, the Source, a translation, ANYTHING). Confirm the segment, save the bilingual, THEN Split the file.

MK

That really did work!
Thanks for everyone's help and replies, specially the fast-acting SDL team and your great workaround, MKrammer.

SweLoc
SweLoc
English to Swedish
+ ...
Similar issues Aug 13, 2013

I have a simlar problem with 2011 (just downloaded the app again to make sure I have the latest version).

Split by wordcount: ERROR: Can't find output file
Comment: That is the file I am trying to create, so it is logical that it can't be found yet. Then a file is actually being generated, but it is corrupt and can't be opened in Studio.

Split into equal parts (2): ERROR: The file is too small to split.
Comment: The SDLXLIFF is 16,000+ words. I guess it depe
... See more
I have a simlar problem with 2011 (just downloaded the app again to make sure I have the latest version).

Split by wordcount: ERROR: Can't find output file
Comment: That is the file I am trying to create, so it is logical that it can't be found yet. Then a file is actually being generated, but it is corrupt and can't be opened in Studio.

Split into equal parts (2): ERROR: The file is too small to split.
Comment: The SDLXLIFF is 16,000+ words. I guess it depends on the deadline if the file needs to be split or not. Sometimes you need to split a 2,000 word file... What is the minimum size of files to be split?

Split by segment numbers: SUCCESS.
Comment: Yay! Unfortunately it's the least used function, since you need to do the calculation manually anyway in that case, but it is a great feature.

So, the app seems to work. I am probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. The workaround mentioned above will not work in my case, since the original file is a pre-segmented TTX. There is already something in the first segment (and all other segments too).

Anyone having the same problems?
Collapse

LMI Translations
LMI Translations
Latvia
Local time: 22:54
Member (2009)
English to Latvian
+ ...
File merge error still not resolved Jan 17, 2014

Has anyone found a way to fix Mariel's mentioned problem regarding merging files?

The app worked perfectly for 6 months before it finally gave the "Failed. ERROR: No files to merge found in directory XYZ." message.

Needless to say, it was a huge project on a very tight deadline. I somehow managed to create a long-winded and imperfect workaround and delivered the translation, but I still have no idea what went wrong there.

Is there something that you're not
... See more
Has anyone found a way to fix Mariel's mentioned problem regarding merging files?

The app worked perfectly for 6 months before it finally gave the "Failed. ERROR: No files to merge found in directory XYZ." message.

Needless to say, it was a huge project on a very tight deadline. I somehow managed to create a long-winded and imperfect workaround and delivered the translation, but I still have no idea what went wrong there.

Is there something that you're not supposed to do with the split bilingual files that corrupts them? Or something else?

The SDL XLIFF Split/Merge app is a wonderful and truly useful tool. I'd really be happy to be able to trust it again.

[Editado a las 2014-01-17 12:58 GMT]
Collapse

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
SDL Trados split/merge does not merge Sep 1, 2014

I am having problems merging the file. I am getting exactly the same message

No files to merge found

It is highly aggravating.

Moreover, the TM seems not to work, so I cannot just recreate the original file.

I was forced to split it because Trados works so badly with large files.

Hamid Aydin
Hamid Aydin  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Split by segment numbers: SUCCESS. May 14, 2015

SweLoc wrote:

Split by segment numbers: SUCCESS.
Comment: Yay! Unfortunately it's the least used function, since you need to do the calculation manually anyway in that case, but it is a great feature.

Hi,

I recently had to try SDL Split and Merge App on SDL Trados Studio 2014. My file was a large 650 pages .doc file. I opened it with SDL Trados Studio 2014, but waited for minutes for opening the SDXLIFF. Obviously, it was a large SDLXLIFF with around 57,000 segments. So, I wanted to try again the Split-Merge App (the former one was a failure though).

I splitted it by 12 files each one having 5,000 segments, and hopefully I could get the final large SDLXLIFF and then .doc file. I just wanted to let you know.

Hamid Aydin
English to Turkish Translator

Matthieu Ferry
Matthieu Ferry  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Cannot merge files baxck together - unreliable tool Jul 17, 2015

Hi,

I have the same problem with merging files: Failed. ERROR: No files to merge found in directory...

I downloaded the software yesterday and took the time to try it out first to make sure I could merge files together.

I copied the whole folder of the project I was working on and tried to split & merge the files. It worked fined, at that point I was at 75% of my translation.

So I decided to go ahead with the actual working folder. Today I fini
... See more
Hi,

I have the same problem with merging files: Failed. ERROR: No files to merge found in directory...

I downloaded the software yesterday and took the time to try it out first to make sure I could merge files together.

I copied the whole folder of the project I was working on and tried to split & merge the files. It worked fined, at that point I was at 75% of my translation.

So I decided to go ahead with the actual working folder. Today I finished the translation and when I tried to merge files back together I encountered the error mentioned above.

I had to manually re-enter more than 500 segments and needless to say I was late for the delivery of my project.

I have followed the following procedure http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3526.html , which as I said above, worked fine yesterday.

I have tried a lot of things and I keep having that error...

This tool is UNRELIABLE.

---
I'm using SDL Trados Freelance 2014 on Windows 7 Pro
Collapse

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm very upset with this tool Jul 28, 2015

I split a file with about 400 pages in 5. And now... it does not merge and it does NOT revert back to Word!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Probably worth noting... Jul 28, 2015

... that the best place to post on issues with OpenExchange applications is here:

http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

On your issue, if you are having a problem (and I don't know why without having all the files to investigate this), perhaps you can import the split files into a TM and then pretranslate the original instead of the split files. Then you should be able to save
... See more
... that the best place to post on issues with OpenExchange applications is here:

http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

On your issue, if you are having a problem (and I don't know why without having all the files to investigate this), perhaps you can import the split files into a TM and then pretranslate the original instead of the split files. Then you should be able to save the target?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Reinis Straume
Reinis Straume
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
Split and Merge is definitely unreliable but there is a simple and reliable workaround... Jul 30, 2015

Hi,

Here's my two cents.

Splitting bilingual files works wonderfully. You can split by wordcount, segment numbers, even new wordcount (if I remember correctly, I haven't used this one in quite a while).

I've learned it's no use trying to rely on the Merge function of Split and Merge - it just doesn't work once the split files have been edited (it works fine if you try to merge the files right after splitting them, though). There's a simple workaround: use P
... See more
Hi,

Here's my two cents.

Splitting bilingual files works wonderfully. You can split by wordcount, segment numbers, even new wordcount (if I remember correctly, I haven't used this one in quite a while).

I've learned it's no use trying to rely on the Merge function of Split and Merge - it just doesn't work once the split files have been edited (it works fine if you try to merge the files right after splitting them, though). There's a simple workaround: use PerfectMatch to update the original file from the translated split files. Unless you merge segments in the split files, PerfectMatch will populate your original bilingual file perfectly, with segment statuses intact (if you so choose).

This is a much more reliable and clean solution than running it through a TM as there is little to no manual tasks on the user's part.

In short:
1. Split with Split and Merge as necessary
2. Translate split files
3. When complete, run the batch task "Apply PerfectMatch" on the original bilingual files, one split file after another until the original file is complete

It's definitely slower than a working Merge function, but since we don't have it...

Hope this helps someone!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL XLIFF Split and Merge V 2011 Error

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »