SDL Trados Studio 2011 - WinAlign didn't help with document comparison...help please!
Thread poster: Jo Rourke

Jo Rourke  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2013

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I am tearing my hair out! I am working on a project where there was an original document, let's call it Spanish Draft 1, which was translated into English (English Draft 1). Since then Spanish Draft 2 has come along, as there were many changes, both of formatting and content, to Spanish Draft 1. My job is to translate Spanish Draft 2, but also to align all the changes from Spanish and English Drafts 1 into my document.

First of all, I tried to use WinAlign with Spanish and English Drafts 1, to get a usable TM for my translation, as there is a large number of repeated phrases/content, however, perhaps due to the formatting, most of the phrases did not correspond from source to target, so it wasn't usable.

Then I decided to try and go through Word - I accepted the tracked changes from Spanish Draft 1 and merged it into Spanish Draft 2, which I then uploaded as a new document and started to translate. As I mentioned though, there is a lot of duplication, but for the moment all I have been doing is searching for text that also appears in Spanish Draft 1, and then finding the target phrase in English Draft 1 and copying it in to Trados for my new translation. Ordinarily I would just decide to re-translate it myself, but it is a large document and I see no reason not to use (at least some) of the text that has already been translated.

Wow, this is turning into War & Peace! My basic question is - is there a quicker way of finding the duplicate text between the two source texts so I can populate my document with text that has already been (correctly) translated? I am being paid for the translation of the "new" words, but the process of finding the "old" words and editing them into the document is proving very complicated! I am hoping some of you problem solvers can help me find a solution.

Again, apologies for the length of this message.

Thank you in advance!

Jo

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:51
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try WinAlign again Jun 21, 2013

...or LF Aligner. When you do, try to see where the alignment gets broken up and if merging a couple of segments could re-align the segments.

As an alternative you can convert the text of both Draft 1 files into a table, copy the table's content to Excel, and import to a TM (as explained here: Creating a TM from a Termbase, or Glossary, in SDL Trados Studio. This is not much different from using an Alingner tool and you will probably need to edit the tables as well, but it might result in less finer segmentation thus making it easier for you to align chunks of text.

Also, you could try to compare Spanish Draft 1 with 2, create a new file compression file (that will show all the changes), and use it as the source for updating English Draft 1.

And lastly, sorry if I'm speaking out of line here, but from a business prospective something is not right here. If you are paid only for the new words, then your client should be the one doing all the merging, aligning, layouting, or whatever to create a a straightforward way to provide you only with the "new words" to be translated. On the other hand, if you are the one responsible to do everything, including reviewing the entire text to make sure that everything is correct, you must charge accordingly.
If I understood correctly what you are being asked to do versus what you are charging for, then something is not right.

[Edited at 2013-06-21 13:53 GMT]

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 21, 2013

Thank you for your advice, Shai. I am also wondering about what I have been asked to do. I have sent a private message to you on the issue.

Thanks again

Jo

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
aligning documents Jun 21, 2013

The alignemt procedure is sometimes very cumbersome; the segmentation of the source and target documents will never fit perfectly; you have to do it manually and to charge it per hour or equivalent to the revision rate/word.
If the previuous translation is of good quality, maybe it would be worth to do; but you may discover that you have lost your time to generate a bad TM.
Good luck!

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Jun 21, 2013

Thank you Radu and Shai - I have basically had to re-translate the document (a lot more work than originally established!) so I have contacted the client and re-negotiated the rate. They have said no problem - but I have also requested a new PO for the work...should I request anything else or should this be sufficient? Thanks again for the advice re: aligning the documents.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Another option for alignment Jun 21, 2013

YouAlign (the free version of AlignFactory) usually provides much better results than SDL's Win Align.

It is an online service, with limitations about how many files you can align and how big the files can be (they want to sell AlignFactory, after all...), but you might want to give it a try.

You can access YouAlign at http://www.youalign.com/

United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have come to the conclusion that the documents are Officially Un-Alignable! Jun 21, 2013

As I compare the original and the translation, they don't even resemble each other. I think there must be another Spanish draft from which the English draft was written, as there is text that doesn't appear/appears elsewhere/doesn't exist! Have given up alignment - although if you know of any brain alignment software that'd be much appreciated! Am translating (most of it) from scratch. Happy Friday everyone! Thanks Riccardo for the tip re: YouAlign...I have now signed up as I think it'll be really handy for projects where the source and target bear even a slight resemblance - unfortunately I don't have one of those!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 - WinAlign didn't help with document comparison...help please!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search