What is the comon way of working with Trados
Thread poster: Tereza Letalova

Tereza Letalova
Local time: 16:06
English to Czech
+ ...
Jun 21, 2013

Hello,

I would need some advice on how to work with Studio Trados Freelancer/Professional.

As a freelancers, do you usually get files to translate and then you create your own projects? Or is it mostly packages you get? Do you then send the TM and files extra or you just send back the same package? Is a termbase memory also included in counting words?

I will be thankfull for any advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Varies Jun 21, 2013

Tereza Letalova wrote:

Hello,

I would need some advice on how to work with Studio Trados Freelancer/Professional.

As a freelancers, do you usually get files to translate and then you create your own projects?

I my case, yes. I use it as much as a workflow tool as a translation aid.

Translators that do large volume cheap stuff, with discounts for matches/fuzzies etc. work differently I believe ie; they get sent projects, glossaries, TMs and whatever. Personally, I'd rather sweep the streets for a living, but everyone to their own

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Just ... translating? Jun 21, 2013

HTH.

A.

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:06
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
depends of the actual task Jun 21, 2013

you work as the client requires

1. if he gives the original format (docx e.g.) you have to create your own project and to return the translated generated files + TM (if required)

2. if the client prepares a translation package sdlppx, this contains all you need: source file, source/target files converted in trados format (sdlxliff), TM, glossary

After translation you gives back the return package sdlrpx; this contains the translated sdlxliff; the client should be able to regenerate the target file in the original format, to load the memory from the target sdlxliff and to prepare the project for review by another translator
this procedure is usual for large projects, generated from dtp files (Framemaker, InDesign or intermediate xml) that a freealancer cannot process directly.
In this case, usually the final layout is up to the client; of course, for usual formats (word e.g.) you may regenarate a target for proofing puposes.

but as general rule, you return the format that you receive: word (e.g.) or sdlrpx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the comon way of working with Trados

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search