Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:34
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2013

I´ve been contacted by salespeople from a company claiming to be the official distributor of Trados in Latin America and offering the Gold edition of Trados Studio 2011 Freelance for USD 305 as a special sales offer to freelance translators in Latin America, valid until June 26.

Could anyone tell whether this is likely to be an authentic offer or a scam?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
French to Polish
+ ...
Regional discounts, Q2, SDL stock debacle... Jun 22, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

I´ve been contacted by salespeople from a company claiming to be the official distributor of Trados in Latin America and offering the Gold edition of Trados Studio 2011 Freelance for USD 305 as a special sales offer to freelance translators in Latin America, valid until June 26.

It's difficult to say but it may be true.
The price is really very low but SDL uses to sell Trados at low prices in "poor countries", e.g. on the former communist Central and East Europe countries a 30% discount is applied automatically if the software is sold by a local reseller.
I don't know the detail but it's also a group of countries with a far lower discount (50% AFAIK), Peru may be one of them.
These prices may be combined with other promotions.

If you realize it's the end of the fiscal quarter, it's normal Trados is on sales as always because the guys need to pump up the financial results.
This time, they really need it 'cause 3 days ago SDL stocks lost almost 30% at the London Stock Exchange in a falling knife style:
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/exchange-insight/technical-analysis.html?fourWayKey=GB0009376368GBGBXSTMM
after the publication of a very negative update on trading for 2013
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail.html?announcementId=11617013

Nonetheless, you should check the company history, ask friends etc.
The local dealers are usually known in the milieu.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-06-22 16:19 GMT]

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:34
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Regional discounts, Q2, SDL stock debacle... 05:13 Jun 22, 2013

Hi there.

I live in Brazil and have contacted the representative - Jonathan Fray - from the company Reality Soluções
vendas@realitysolucoes.com.br. Its a reliable person . Well, if this is the co you are talking about. Two of my friends have bought the softwares for R$ 760,00 BR and they are very satisfied with it and working with subscription to SDL platform. The only feature missing in the software is auto suggest which you may buy separately. Hope this helps.

Frances Fenn
Local time: 20:34
Trados sales offer in Latin America? Jun 24, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Thanks

Hi Thomas,

I can confirm that the offer is correct. The Gold Edition Freelance is a limited edition licence that is only available until the end of this month. The package includes:

- SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus
- SDL AutoSuggest
- Getting Started Course Manual and Certfication Exam

The special prices being offered by our Latin American Partners are valid until 26th June only so now is a great time to invest.

You can find the details of our latin American Resellers here: http://www.sdl.com/community/partner/partner-programs/resellers/authorized-resellers.html?Location=South%20America

Hope this puts your mind at rest

Fran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados sales offer in Latin America?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search