Thread poster: Helen Johnston

Helen Johnston  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2013

I think I may be going crazy.

A client sent me a ttx to translate, with an exported TM in .txt format. I prefer to use Trados Studio 2011, so I opened the .txt to check the language combination (in this case ES-ES to EN-GB), then imported it into a Workbench TM and exported it to a .TMX file which I could then import into a Studio TM.

I have translated and saved the ttx and generated a target word file, so far so good.

As a final check to ensure the file is deliverable, I tried to open the ttx using TagEditor with the original TM open in Workbench, and I get the error message "The open TM contains different languages to the document. Interaction with Workbench will be deactivated until a suitable TM is opened" (or words to that effect, the message is in Spanish).

I double checked the Workbench TM, the TM in Studio, the project set up in Studio and the project folders, they all say ES-ES EN-GB.

On a hunch I created an empty ES-EM (International Sort) TM in Workbench and tried opening the ttx in TagEditor in combination with that and lo and behold, it turns out that, yes, an ES-ES ttx has magically turned into an ES-EM ttx as a result of translating it in Studio. Studio doesn't even offer ES-EM any more, it's a throwback to Trados 2007!!!!

How did this happen, and more to the point, how can I fix it? I can't deliver it to the client in a format that can't be edited with their original TM!

Any help appreciated - fortunately I have a couple of days to the delivery deadline, but I really don't want to have to retranslate the (10,000 word) file in tagEditor, then I really will go insane!

Direct link Reply with quote

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have found a partial fix (but still no explanation) Jun 23, 2013

I created a new empty Studio TM (ES-ES) and imported the sdlxliff into that. Exported that to a tmx which I imported into the original Workbench TM no problem. I have now opened the original, untouched by Studio, ttx and find I can pull the translated segments through using translate to fuzzy. It is a grindingly slow process as it stops at every other segment where tags are missing, or segments have been split or merged, but it will work.

It's a 10,000 word file so if anyone can up with a faster fix in the next 24 hours so I don't have to spend a couple of hours doing this, I would greatly appreciate it. (I have also developed a pathological hatred of TagEditor since going over to Studio!)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you double check... Jun 23, 2013

... the TTX you were provided by your client? You didn't mention opening this in Tag Editor first. I tried to repro this and can't... I also can't see why Studio would change the language code at all.

So I tested with a TTX created for es(EM) and this of course was opened as es(ES) but when you save target you do get es(EM)... but this is as expected because the source started this way.

Maybe worth checking.

Anyway... if you do have to change the target TTX to be es(ES) then just open it with a text editor and search replace all of these:

"ES-EM"

with these:

"ES-ES"

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Problem fixed if not solved. Jun 24, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that - I didn't realise you can edit a ttx in a text editor. That's saved me a lot of pain!

You are right, the original ttx the client sent me was ES-EM, as I can now see when I open it in the text editor. So it wasn't Studio changing the language code, which would have been distinctly odd.

The mystery deepenes however.

The TM they sent was definitely ES-ES. I've triple checked that - the code in the txt says ES-ES, I imported into an ES-ES Workbench TM, and I exported it again just to have another look!

And I did open the ttx in TagEditor first with the above TM open in Workbench, that's why I merrily assumed it was ES-ES. It also didn't occur to me that the client would, or even could, send a TM and ttx with different languages!

To double check, I just downloaded the original ttx again from the client's server, just in case I managed to tamper with it without realising. When opened in the text editor it says clearly SourceLanguage="ES-EM" but TagEditor is still allowing me to open and edit it with the ES-ES TM.

That shouldn't be possible, should it? TagEditor is certainly not allowing me to open the very same ttx with the very same TM after the ttx has been edited and saved using Studio.

Studio also handled the file with no problems, saving it as ES-EM, even though the project set up is ES-ES and ES-EM isn't even a language combination Studio offers!

I'm also mystified as to how the client managed to generate an ES-EM ttx using that particular TM!

I will write to the client today, as I'm not sure now what I should deliver. They sent me an ES-EM ttx, so strictly speaking that's what I should send back, but they won't be able to edit it with their own TM!

I have to say, the day can't come soon enough for me when everyone uses xliff and tmx! I'd lose half of my customers if I refused to accept legacy files, but my allergy to the Workbench TagEditor combo is getting worse every day!

Thanks again for all your help

Regards
Helen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM thinks ttx contains a different language combination

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search