How do I make Studio 2011 completely forget a project that is not in the project list?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 24, 2013

After I have migrated to another PC, I cannot open one project anymore. It's not in the project list, but Studio somehow remembers that it used to be there and won't let me open the project by double-clicking the project file — it says that the project has already been opened and added to the project list without even pointing where in the list it thinks it is.

Question 1: How do I make Studio competely forget this project (without affecting the other projects) so that I can reopen it by double-clicking the project file?

Question 2 (to Studio developers): This behavior is very user-unfriendly. Almost as unfriendly as not letting users save the target because of some obscure and not always valid tag issues in a segment. If Studio does remember the project whose file I double-click, why not just open this project or at least show it in the list — and if this fails, give me an error message with more specifics (such as the failed paths etc.)?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English
projects.xml Jun 24, 2013

Dear Artem,

This KB Article describes a way to delete a specific Project from the projects.xml file, which is the file that holds all project info.

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2954

Be careful when doing this, I would recommend to save a copy of the file first.

Best Regards,
Luis

Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This does not solve my problem, the file seems to be irrelevant Jun 27, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Dear Artem,

This KB Article describes a way to delete a specific Project from the projects.xml file, which is the file that holds all project info.

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2954

Be careful when doing this, I would recommend to save a copy of the file first.

Best Regards,
Luis

Hello Luis,

Unfortumately, this does not solve my problem. The projects.xml file stored where the KB article says contains data on just 3 projects while I have many more. And no data on the project I'm trying to open.

Any other tips?

United Kingdom
English
The Project file... Jun 27, 2013

.... contains metadata relating to the location of things in your Project. So if you move to another computer then perhaps the paths inside the files are not linking to things referred to?

If removing it from the projects.xml and then trying to open it again in Studio so the paths are rebuilt doesn't help because it's not in the projects.xml in the first place then try this:

1. Recreate the project with the source files and any other resources you want in it
2. Replace the sdlxliff files in the new target folder with the ones in the original project

This way you get your project running and the translated files will be exactly the same and all being well it should work.

Regards

Paul

Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My other projects aren't in projects.xml but open OK Jun 27, 2013

The surprising thing is that this file doesn't contain info on other projects that are in the project list and can be opened.

If I delete projects.xml altogether, will Studio recreate it correctly?

United Kingdom
English
Try renaming it... Jun 27, 2013

... it may help. But as you said you have a new computer I have no idea what you have tried to do in order to get your projects back as they were before. Doesn't mean you did something silly, but something is not being referenced correctly.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I make Studio 2011 completely forget a project that is not in the project list?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search