Empty TM, but fuzzy matches, how is this possible?
Thread poster: Franck Abate

Franck Abate  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
English to French
+ ...
Jun 24, 2013

Hi,
I am managing a project for which there is zero translation yet. I created an empty TM and loaded all the files to run an analysis. I'm getting fuzzy matches. How is that possible?
I understand Repetitions but fuzzies? Am I missing something?
This is kind of a big deal for us because it affects budget and quotes (large projects).

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
This? Jun 25, 2013

A PerfectMatch is a form of context match that compares updated source files to a corresponding set of old bilingual documents rather than to a translation memory. Segment matches, known as PerfectMatch units (XUs), are checked for context, that is, the surrounding entries are checked to ensure that they are the same. They are then extracted from the old bilingual documents and transferred to the updated source files. Because the PerfectMatch segment matching process includes a check for context, XUs typically need no further translation or editing during translation.

[Edited at 2013-06-25 00:46 GMT]

Well, that wouldn't be coming up as "fuzzy" I guess.

[Edited at 2013-06-25 03:15 GMT]

Mark
Local time: 06:33
Italian to English
Just an idea Jun 25, 2013

Well, a repetition is a sort of "dynamic" 100% match. There might be nothing in the TM now, but I think analysis uses a kind of temporary TM, so if you have a 0% to begin with, a similar segment later in the file might be recognised as a fuzzy (instead of a "100%" repetition).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
English
Are you sure... Jun 25, 2013

Orrin Cummins wrote:

A PerfectMatch is a form of context match that compares updated source files to a corresponding set of old bilingual documents rather than to a translation memory. Segment matches, known as PerfectMatch units (XUs), are checked for context, that is, the surrounding entries are checked to ensure that they are the same. They are then extracted from the old bilingual documents and transferred to the updated source files. Because the PerfectMatch segment matching process includes a check for context, XUs typically need no further translation or editing during translation.

[Edited at 2013-06-25 00:46 GMT]

Well, that wouldn't be coming up as "fuzzy" I guess.

[Edited at 2013-06-25 03:15 GMT]

... you aren't looking at the internal analysis : http://goo.gl/gUSr8

This would give you an estimate of the potential fuzzy matches based on you translating the file... so even if you have no matches at the start you will as you start to work.

Perfect Match is a little off track I think as this doesn't use a TM at all and provides either "Perfect Match" matches, or exactly the match values you had in the previously translated bilingual file you compared it with.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Empty TM, but fuzzy matches, how is this possible?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search