Thread poster: Orsolya Bugar-Buday

Orsolya Bugar-Buday  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 25, 2013

Dear All,

I wonder if it is possible to join source segments during translation in SDL Trados 2011. MemoQ has such function, and I find it terribly useful, especially with poorly edited source texts.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Best regards from Budapest,
Orsolya

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Nicholson  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
Ctrl + Alt + S Jun 25, 2013

Hello Orsolya,

To merge two or more segments (in Studio 2009), highlight the segments and then use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + S.

To split a segment, place the cursor in the right place and use the shortcut Alt + Shift + T.

I often use these functions in 2009, hopefully they will work for you in 2011.

Peter

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Just a heads up Jun 25, 2013

If the segments were separated by a hard return in the source document, you won't be able to join them (the option will be greyed out from the right-click menu). Unfortunately, this is often the case precisely on those segments that you would like to combine.

Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh dear Jun 25, 2013

And this is exactly what happened.

Dear colleagues, thank you anyway for the help.

Orrin Cummins wrote:

If the segments were separated by a hard return in the source document, you won't be able to join them (the option will be greyed out from the right-click menu). Unfortunately, this is often the case precisely on those segments that you would like to combine.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
workaround Jun 25, 2013

Orrin Cummins wrote:

If the segments were separated by a hard return in the source document, you won't be able to join them (the option will be greyed out from the right-click menu).

True. I suggested a workaround to "pseudo-merge" segments separated by a hard return at the end of point 1 in my blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/07/18/sp2/

Maybe that will help Orsolya?

Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great blog, Emma! Jun 26, 2013

Emma, good morning, and thank you for the link to your blog. I find it extremely useful, so I'll be a follower, for sure!

As for pseudo-merge: I understand the way it works, however I have a doubt. What will happen to the segment you copied the text from (to paste it into another segment)? Will it remain empty?

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
True. I suggested a workaround to "pseudo-merge" segments separated by a hard return at the end of point 1 in my blog post:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/07/18/sp2/

Maybe that will help Orsolya?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Empty segment issue Jun 26, 2013

Orsolya Bugar-Buday wrote:

What will happen to the segment you copied the text from (to paste it into another segment)? Will it remain empty?

Good question! I add a space to the target segment. This was discussed in a thread here a little while back:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229256-studio_2011_sp2_possible_to_merge_segments_across_paragraph_marks.html#1984400

I'm glad you've found my blog useful. It's comments like yours that makes blog writing worthwhile!

Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 26, 2013

Thank you, Emma. I will give it a try next time I face such problem.

As for your blog - as I said, I find it extremely useful, so I will most definitely recommend it to colleagues at our association (MFTE - Association of Hungarian Translators and Interpreters).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Join segments during translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search