Does auto-propagate work if google translate is running?
Thread poster: Anna Carter

Anna Carter
United States
Local time: 03:36
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2013

Dear fellow SDL Trados 2011 users,
The only words that are appearing in my target text are coming from Google. This means that neither my TM nor my Term base is being utilized. My software is only a few translations old, so my data is not strong yet.
The TM is above google translate both in Trados settings and in the project settings. The TB is active and I know this because I am adding words to it, in hopes that they begin to appear. My auto propagate setting is now at 90, lowered from 100. Does this mean that google overrides the TM and TB? The only use I can get out of the TB is if I begin to overwrite google's choice of words, the option of my TB translation appears.
I searched the forums but did not find a specific enough of an answer. Looking forward to your help!
Thank you,
Anna Gallant Carter
Gallant Language Consulting

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:36
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Try turning them off Jun 28, 2013

Hi Anna,
Those are two features I always have turned off in Studio because they waste so much time.

It takes longer to sort out the rubbish Google stuffs into a job than it does to write it properly.

Auto-propagate will paste matches into the rest of the translation as soon as you hit the confirm button but if you then want to change a term or anything in that first segment you'll have to make the changes in all the auto-propagated segments too.
I find it's much better to let the TM suggest a match for each new segment as I come to it (if there is one) rather than pasting them in all over the place automatically.

If you're not getting matches from your TM make sure the "Update" check box is selected in the project settings. This is all the way over on the right and can be hidden in the sliding menu, and is sometimes unselected by default.

Try turning Google off and see how you go, it's not a pro's tool imo.

sdl_andy
Local time: 08:36
Quick question Jun 28, 2013

Hi

Under "Project Settings / Language Pairs / All Language Pairs / Translation Memory and Automated Translation / Search", what is your minimum match value for translation?

Thanks.

Anna Carter
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
min match in translation, Google is off Jun 28, 2013

First, to get such quick responses from you both speaks very highly of the forum and industry. I really do appreciate it.
My min match value is at 70%. Earlier today I lowered it from 100 just to test it out. I turned off Google (which I agree, is a waste of time, thank you). My TB suggestions are coming up as I type, but not always as they should. (sometimes the translation appears, other times no) Question. Is my TM too young to be of use? I have translated only about 10,000 words with the software so far, but many parts (of sentences) are repeated. Complete sentences are not exactly the same. Not sure what to expect.
Thank you again,
Anna

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:36
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mim match Jun 29, 2013

Hi Anna,
I also use 70% for both Translation and Concordance settings. If you use 100% you'll only get exact matches, and lower than 70% you'll get matches that will need a lot of editing and take a lot of time.

The TM and Termbase are 2 different things.
The TM saves every segment you confirm and will suggest that segment translation again if you reach another segment that's exactly the same (100% match) or a fuzzy match that needs editing (anything over 70% on your settings). Anything less than 70% will not show as a match and the TM lookup window will say "No matches".

To check the TM is working, add a white space to the end of a segment you've already translated and confirmed, then move the cursor to another segment and then again back to the one you added the white space to. You should get a 100% match you can paste in with Alt+1, or other numbers if there is more than one option. If you're not getting this you either have no TM selected (maybe wrong languages) or the TM update checkbox hasn't been checked in Project settings. You can also delete a translated/confirmed segment then move the cursor in and out of it to see if the segment has been saved in the TM and is automatically pasted in as you move the cursor to the segment.

You'll only get matches for whole or 70% segments, if part of a segment is the same as one you've translated (less than 70%) the best way to copy paste it in is to select the part you think is the same and tap F3 to run a Concordance search (great for checking terms too), then copy paste the text from the relevant part of the old segment shown in the concordance search window.

The difference between the TM and the Termbase is the TM saves whole segments whereas the TB saves single terms or strings of terms depending on what you put into it.
One really useful way to use the TB is if you have terms that are used often in the translation you can select the term in the source part of the editor window and the relevant translation in the target window then right click on either one and select "Add new term". This makes the termbase window popup with the new terms so you can click on "Save" to add them to the termbase.

Next time you have the same term in the source, the Autosuggest (T9) function pops up a menu below the cursor with any terms from the termbase that match the terms in the source as you type. Use the arrow keys to select the correct term and paste it in with the Enter key.
Yesterday for example I had CTU in the source of many segments and adding court-appointed expert and being able to T9 it in after just typing cour.. saved a lot of time.

So the TM will suggest matches if the whole or most of the segment is the same, the Termbase will suggest terms if there are terms in it that match those of the source, obviously if the relevant functions are activated.

Have fun.
Studio is a great prog once you learn to use the time-saving functions and avoid the time-wasting ones.

sdl_andy
Something else to consider Jun 29, 2013

Hi

Lots to take in and try from Jo so I won't add more at this point. Although it is worth looking your MT options. You've added Google but you may not know that with Studio 2011 you get completely free access to SDL's own MT the BeGlobal Community Edition.

Andy.

Anna Carter
United States
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mil gracias! I'm back in the game. Jul 1, 2013

Andy,
I had not signed up for BeGLobal before your suggestion, but now I have. Thank you for that advice.
Joe, you have gone beyond the call of duty in your detailed response. Your advice is exactly what I needed. I was also "blessed" with a cursed error message that appeared every time I moved within segments. I found the problem's solution in the forum. It called for deleting 3 .xml files, which I have done. Not only did the error message go away but the TM began to work as it should. Your notes now make a lot of sense to my situation.
I agree with you that this will be a very strong time-saving tool. I became an AutoCad pro (architectural drawings) and once I made it through the learning curve I could dance around the program in my sleep. It saved me a tremendous amount of time. I have the same high hopes for Trados. At some point it will be working for me, and not vice versa!
Thanks to you both!
Anna
PS If you don't mind, I may return to our chat if I get stuck again. I'll search the forum first... Wish I could pay you two back with fresh mint from the garden. Thanks for watching the forums.

sdl_andy
Kettle Jul 2, 2013

No problem Anna. I shall prepare a mug of peppermint in your honour!

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does auto-propagate work if google translate is running?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search