Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:45
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 29, 2004

Dear all

Today I recieved a job offer from a client of mine. Unfortunately I use Trados 5.5 freelance and the TM they send me is Trados 6 (I think since a tried to use the TM but it did not work: This version of TW does not support v.6 etc)... Panic!
So I decided to buy the upgrade (5.5 to 6.5) which I will use in combination with Windows 98 and Word 2000 (I also use a laptop with Windows XP but just for sending jobs, because I really do not like XP for translations... call me old fashioned.)
I use a dongle and I ordered the download version (which will be downloaded on my laptop).
Could this be a problem? I mean downloading on one pc, saving it on a disk and transferring it to another pc?
And what problems could I encounter using Windows 98 and Word 2000?
Thank you in advance for your input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No problems Sep 29, 2004

You shouldn't have any problems. In the meantime, you can ask your client to send you the TM exported to a TXT file and import it to your version of Trados.

By the way, I don't see any reason for using Win 98 (maybe except slow hardware). XP is much more stable, has a built-in firewall and other advantages. But it's your choice, of course.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Read the instructions first Sep 30, 2004

A few weeks ago I did what your are doing. I had some problems because I thought I would proceed as normally. But I installed the Trados package first and the Multiterm-package after. It must be done the other way round.
But of course you can transfer the files from one machine to an other.
Ralf Lamster has got some updated instructions. Read the thread from ysterday.

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 30, 2004

Thank you both for the great suggestions!
I asked the client to send me the export and it works just fine (I did not know that, shame on me...).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finally upgrading from 5.5 freelance to 6.5 freelance

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search