Vietnam
Local time: 07:06
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2013

Hello all
I am a new user to Trados Studio 2009
There is a thing:
I was given a docx file (just the test) and then I have to convert it into XML to translate in Trados. I converted it (File>Save as> *.xml in Word 2007) and opened it in Trados, however, Trados can not identify the strings to be translated with tags and other stuff. I mean the Editor View shows all the things appear in the file, but there're just some words need to be translated.
It's complicated now as I also googled for some hints but not useful (or I can not understand).
Please help me deal with this.
Thank you a lot!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:06
English
Seems a bizarre process? Jun 30, 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure why you would have to work like this, it seems quite illogical to me. But if you do then you will probably have to create a filetype for the xml created from this process. You can find some information on how to do this in the product help here: http://goo.gl/hEB1h

But certainly not the easiest thing to do.

Why do you have to work this way when you already have a word file? Or did the word file contain an xml filetype pasted as text into Word? If so saving the word file as xml is not the way to go.

Regards

Paul

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
how to filter XML files with file types. Jun 30, 2013

I had to filter an XML file with Studio 2011 in order to translate "text" statements only, that is to say make invisible - and untranslated - the "comment" and " description " statements.

when importing the XML file,
go to Tools/options and click on file types. On the new screen, click "New" in the top right corner.

Enter a name for the file type and click "Continue".

Choose Settings based on INI etc and click "Continue".

you will get to the Parser Rules window, where you see all tags and how they are treated.

if you need only "text", mark "context" and "description" to non translatable.

click OK to finalize this new XML file type

In order for Studio to use this file type, you need to move it up in the list of the file types (make it the first XML file type). Use the bottom right button (move upwards) for that.

I hope it helpsicon_smile.gif

thuy do  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 07:06
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Paul Jul 1, 2013

Yeah, Paul, it is a xml content pasted into word and now I have to move it back to xml file, then translate it. IT's so complicated as I found that the tags here are all weird!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
ok - makes a little more sense... Jul 1, 2013

... just a little!

In this case copy the text from the word file into a plain text editor and save that as XML. It would be best if you have a decent editor for this (notepad++ or editpadpro) so you can ensure the encoding of the file is correct as well otherwise any diacritics or non western characters may not display correctly.

Once you have this you create a filetype using this as the help, and Madeleine, describes.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to translate XML in Trados 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search