Thread poster: Extra Consult

Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 20:24
Member (2008)
English
Jul 2, 2013

Hello,

we're trying to translate an IDML file to Hebrew using Studio 2011 SP2R. It all seems to work fine, but when opening the translated IDML file in Indesign, we get an 'Undefined Error'.

Now, onto the strange part:

I tested the IDML by creating a project without a TM and adding the IDML. Then I performed a simple 'Copy Source to Target' in the Editor, and saved the target again.
This works fine if the target language is German or Italian, but not with Hebrew. When I create a project with target language Hebrew, add the IDML, no TM, copy source to target and save, the IDML is broken.

I have noticed Studio automatically adapts to the right-to-left format in Editor, so I can only guess that the problem lies there.

So in short, same IDML, same project, no TM works for other languages, but not Hebrew. Is there any way I can get a correct IDML out of Studio, and finish the project?

Kind regards,
Geert

Mickey Argaman  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
INX Jul 2, 2013

Deqr Geert,

Try to convert the IDML file into INX format and then re-tranlate it.
that might solve the problem.

Mickey

[Edited at 2013-07-02 12:52 GMT]

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
worked Jul 2, 2013

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for the quick reply, using an INX instead of an IDML worked.

Funny though, we started using Studio so we shouldn't have to save back to INX, but could translate IDML directly...but hey, back to INX it is icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,
Geert

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
IDML needed later Jul 3, 2013

Hi again,

whilst the INX solution works, in the future, we would need to use IDML to translate to Hebrew. Could someone from SDL look at this, as an IDML with target Hebrew does not clean ok. Seeing as INX works fine, this looks like a filter problem for IDML.

Or does anyone know another way to log a bug with SDL?

Kind regards,
Geert

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can send me the file... Jul 3, 2013

... and I can check this and log a bug as required. Or you can use the Solution Finder. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Then complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Request logged Jul 3, 2013

Hi Paul,

thanks for the quick reply. I've logged a request using the site you provided, worked like a charm.

Sadly, I can't send you the file in question, as it belongs to our client. However, I'll run the test with a 'neutral' IDML and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, I'll send you the new file to work with.

Kind regards, and much obliged,
Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IDML Hebrew issue

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search