https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/252131-inserting_non_breaking_hyphen_in_passolo.html

Inserting non-breaking hyphen in Passolo
Thread poster: Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:59
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 3, 2013

Hello,

I'm working with SDL Passolo 2011 Translator Edition. I've been searching manuals and guides of this tool, but I can't find how to insert a non-breaking hyphen. The usual combination [Ctrl + Shift + -] doesn't do the trick. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Hester

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Alt+2011 Jul 3, 2013

Hester Eymers wrote:

I'm working with SDL Passolo 2011 Translator Edition. I've been searching manuals and guides of this tool, but I can't find how to insert a non-breaking hyphen. The usual combination [Ctrl + Shift + -] doesn't do the trick. Any suggestions?

Theoretically Alt+2011 (on NumPad) should do the job if the code page and the file type it permits.
I.e. it's usually impossible.

Cheers
GG

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 4, 2013

Hi Grzegorz,

Thank you for your reply. Alt+2011 didn't work either, so this is the usual case of code page and/or file type not permitting, I guess. Well, at least now I know it's not a case of me missing something...

Cheers,
Hester

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
Alt+2011 is Hexadecimal !! Jul 26, 2013

Hello Ester,
Hello Grzegorz,

2011 is the correct number for the non breaking hyphen, but it is a hexadecimal number which can't be entered using Alt+number.

The corresponding decimal number is 8209 which can be inserted using Alt+8209 without problems.

Another possibility to insert characters that can't be typed with the keyboard is the Character Map. You can call it by clicking the small "Aa" icon below the edit field. This will open a list of all U
... See more
Hello Ester,
Hello Grzegorz,

2011 is the correct number for the non breaking hyphen, but it is a hexadecimal number which can't be entered using Alt+number.

The corresponding decimal number is 8209 which can be inserted using Alt+8209 without problems.

Another possibility to insert characters that can't be typed with the keyboard is the Character Map. You can call it by clicking the small "Aa" icon below the edit field. This will open a list of all Unicode characters.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting non-breaking hyphen in Passolo

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »