Thread poster: Cyphera
Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
Local time: 02:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2013

I love the AutoSuggest feature use it regularly BUT when I add terms on my own on the fly when translating, afterwards they only pop up when I've typed the first four looong letters of the word. I want the suggested word to pop up after maybe two letters. Can this be changed, and it so, where do I find this setting?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Yes, it's easily changed Jul 3, 2013

Go to Tools>Options>Autosuggest>Show suggestions which have X or more characters

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not the one Jul 3, 2013

No, that setting only decides how long words that the feature suggests. If I set it to e.g. 7, only words containing 7 or more letters will be suggested when I type.

What I'm looking for is a setting that would show the suggested words quicker. If for e.g. I've manually added a word (the problem only refers to manually added words) that is 7 letters long, and I later on start typing it again, I don't want the suggestion when I've typed the first 4 letters of it. The way it works no
... See more
No, that setting only decides how long words that the feature suggests. If I set it to e.g. 7, only words containing 7 or more letters will be suggested when I type.

What I'm looking for is a setting that would show the suggested words quicker. If for e.g. I've manually added a word (the problem only refers to manually added words) that is 7 letters long, and I later on start typing it again, I don't want the suggestion when I've typed the first 4 letters of it. The way it works now, it's only the three last words of a 7 letter long word that the feature "saves me" from typing.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Sorry! Jul 3, 2013

Sorry, I got that wrong.
I don't think there is a way to set a different number of keystrokes before a suggestion is offered. I see what you mean about just saving 3 keystrokes in a 7-letter word, but if the minimum number were set any lower, you would be offered a multitude of useless suggestions to pick from.
So maybe that's why the number can't be adjusted?

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Create another termbase Jul 3, 2013

It might be worthwhile to create a project-specific termbase for such purpose, which I do where a job contains, for example, lots of company names repeated throughout and which I'd rather not clutter up my regular termbases with. For this very reason, I actually never use the Auto Suggest feature. You may not want the "project-specific termbase" set as default, so you can add useful terms to your regular termbase.

[Edited at 2013-07-03 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-03 14:49 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TermInjector Jul 3, 2013

Hi,

Use TermInjector (OpenExchange) and you won't have to type them at all!

Cheers,

Bernard

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
T9 suggestion with 1 key stroke Jul 3, 2013

I get the T9 suggestion on the first key stroke and I'm not using any fancy termbase tools.
I'll check my settings and see what goes.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Nope Jul 3, 2013

I couldn't find a way to change such a setting, but I get a T9 suggestion as soon as I type in the first letter of the word.

Have you tried typing in the first letter of a word you know will get you a T9 and waiting to see if it appears? If it takes the time you normally type in 4 letters maybe you're using a huge termbase or slow computer.

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jo, You might have a point ... Jul 4, 2013

... I don't have a very fast computer. I will be upgrading it in a couple of weeks. But if that was the problem, wouldn't hitting the first key (in a word I've added as "AutoText entry", Alt+F7) and waiting make it appear? It doesn't matter how long I wait and in general the words do appear quickly. Also I always have to type four letters for making the words I've added one and one using Alt+F7 appear. The ones I added when importing the compulsory TM of 25,000 words are shown faster (this is ca... See more
... I don't have a very fast computer. I will be upgrading it in a couple of weeks. But if that was the problem, wouldn't hitting the first key (in a word I've added as "AutoText entry", Alt+F7) and waiting make it appear? It doesn't matter how long I wait and in general the words do appear quickly. Also I always have to type four letters for making the words I've added one and one using Alt+F7 appear. The ones I added when importing the compulsory TM of 25,000 words are shown faster (this is called a "AugoSuggest dictionary").Collapse

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would that solve the problem? Jul 4, 2013

Richard Hill wrote:

It might be worthwhile to create a project-specific termbase for such purpose, which I do where a job contains, for example, lots of company names repeated throughout and which I'd rather not clutter up my regular termbases with. For this very reason, I actually never use the Auto Suggest feature. You may not want the "project-specific termbase" set as default, so you can add useful terms to your regular termbase.

[Edited at 2013-07-03 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-03 14:49 GMT]

Are words from a termbase always suggested on the first keystroke? I haven't tried using termbases yet. Is it as simple as adding words to AutoText (just pressing Alt+F7)?

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Jul 4, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi,

Use TermInjector (OpenExchange) and you won't have to type them at all!

Cheers,

Bernard

Sounds interesting indeed! But how does that work? How does the system know what words I'm going to type?

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BTW ... Jul 4, 2013

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I couldn't find a way to change such a setting, but I get a T9 suggestion as soon as I type in the first letter of the word.

Have you tried typing in the first letter of a word you know will get you a T9 and waiting to see if it appears? If it takes the time you normally type in 4 letters maybe you're using a huge termbase or slow computer.

Do you get suggestions on the first keystroke with both "AutoSuggest Dictionaries" and "AutoText"? For me they work differently.

Cyphera
Cyphera
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've checked ... Jul 4, 2013

... and words from "AutoSuggest Dictionaries" are shown instantly (on the first keystroke).

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Inserts them Automatically Jul 4, 2013

Hi,

If you create an exact match rule file, a regular expression file and add a TM, it overwrites the source terms.

See screenshot http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/slideshow/?sort=3

As I had "Please select" x number of times, I put Please select and Veuillez sélectionner in the exact match rule file. Also, with regular expre
... See more
Hi,

If you create an exact match rule file, a regular expression file and add a TM, it overwrites the source terms.

See screenshot http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/slideshow/?sort=3

As I had "Please select" x number of times, I put Please select and Veuillez sélectionner in the exact match rule file. Also, with regular expressions, all of the figures are automatically inserted with the right decimal separator in French and spacing. Haven't typed a single letter in the example, only keystrokes needed Ctr+T to insert the strings into the target cell.

HTH,

Bernard
Collapse

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Adding terms to termbases Jul 4, 2013

Cyphera wrote:

Are words from a termbase always suggested on the first keystroke? I haven't tried using termbases yet. Is it as simple as adding words to AutoText (just pressing Alt+F7)?

Yes, terms are suggested on the first keystroke and in Studio they are added by selecting the word/phrase in both target and source then with two clicks, one to "Add New Term" and another to "Save Term", as per your "Keyboard Shortcuts" under "Tools" - "Options" (in my case F1 and F12).

If you haven't yet used termbases, I suggest you create them using the same structure for each termbase in the Termbase Wizard in Multierm Desktop, which will make things easier if you decide to merge any termbases at some point. I personally use the default bilingual glossary, like this:

"Termbase" - "Create Termbase" - (name it) "Save" - "Next" - "Use a predefined termbase template" - "Bilingual glossary" (add "Friendly Name") - "Next" (select your languages and "Add") - "Next" - "Next" - "Next" - "Finish", which will give you a termbase where you can add notes and definitions, etc. Now add the termbase in Studio under "tools" - "options" - "Language Pairs" - "Termbases" - "Add" - "Browse" - "Open". Then open one of your translated sdlxliff files and check your shortcuts for "Add New Term" and "Save Term".

Having said this, TermInjector seems well worth having a look at, but if you "haven't tried using termbases yet", then I think you should do so first then maybe look at TermInjector.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AutoSuggest - setting - Studio 2011...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »