Olga_kld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:31
Member (2011)
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Jul 5, 2013

Hope someone here can help me.

One of my customers sent me a ttx and tmx file. I have translated them in Studio 2011, and saved them via "save" and via "save target as" which delivered me a ttx and a sdlxliff file.

Those 2 files I returned to my customer, who then came back to me with the question: I hope the files you sent were TR + ED-ed

What could be the meaning of this, I really have no clueicon_frown.gif

I only have Trados Studio 2011, so I can only work in that, not in 2007 or 2009!

[Edited at 2013-07-05 08:16 GMT]

Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TRanslated and EDited? Jul 5, 2013

can't think of anything in strict relation with Trados...usually outsourcers will ask if the files have been verified, or QA-checked, but TR and ED? perhaps they mean, have you edited them so that we don't have to review/proof them again? or maybe I'm just being dumbicon_smile.gif

Regina Seelos  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Translated + edited? Jul 5, 2013

Hi Olga,

I don't know exactly. But could it mean translated + edited?

This has nothing to do with Trados. But it is all I can think of with TR + ED-ed.

Formerly, files had to be cleaned, now they are "saved as target". There is nothing else to do.

Best,
Regina

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Abbreviations... Jul 5, 2013

I agree with the others on the meaning of "tr+ed".

It's really annoying but clients, especially agencies, expect us to know all the internal abbreviations they throw at us. They often forget we are external resources and that we have multiple clients who all have their own terms and abbreviations etc.

Olga_kld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jul 5, 2013

Thanks for the input. I agree and think it has to do with translated and edited, I just was confused, as that is what the standard is, isnt iticon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2013-07-05 08:35 GMT]

Paula Dieli  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
French to English
+ ...
TR and ED are industry standard terms Jul 5, 2013

Hi Olga,
Good question.

These abbreviations are fairly common in the industry in general and are not specific to SDL Trados. As the previous respondents guessed, they stand for Translation and Editing. Agencies normally go through a process of translation, editing and proofreading (PR). Often these tasks are done by 2 or 3 distinct people (the first two by freelancers and the third by someone in house at the agency).

When you accept a job from this agency (or any other agency) in the future, you'd be well advised to ask up front what tasks they expect you to perform. If you're doing both TR and ED, you can ask to be paid for both tasks. Otherwise, if you wish to handle only the translation, and want to hand it off to be editing, they will pay you for just the TR work.

IMHO, it's best to have someone else edit your work (a second pair of eyes...).

Paula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados expert, don't know what is tr+ed

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search