Thread poster: tokyobritish

tokyobritish
Japan
Local time: 20:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2013

Hi,

I have noticed I get lots of false errors when verifying my files in Studio 2011. For example, a sentence which clearly contains スイッチ" gets picked up even if "switch' (lowercase as in the glossary) is in the translation and there is no period next to it.

I also get fuzzy matches where only 2 kanji match the word.
Ex.
Source includes 受けて
Glossary entry is 受け皿

Does anyone know if this is a limitation of Trados, or do I need to turn off the fuzzy match setting? Seems to be fairly unintuitive to me.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
English
Character based concordance? Jul 5, 2013

Hi,

It may be worth playing with the settings for character based concordance. We don’t tokenize Japanese, as we didn’t in Workbench. It’s therefore not possible to identify words in Japanese (Chinese, Thai) and identify differences on a word basis.

You make the change on the TM when it's created, so if you already have a TM and didn't use this setting you should try creating a new one and then import the original into it.

If this doesn't help then please feel free to drop me a few examples and we can take a look to see whether we can improve this at all.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

tokyobritish
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados settings Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for your answer!
I'll give your suggestion a go when I have more time to reproduce the glossaries.

On a different note, is there a good startup guide which explains the intricacies of Trados Studio 2011 such as how the TM settings are stored in the Project Settings, and how to make it so they stay set to the latest even when opening an 'old' project file?

United Kingdom
English
There are several places to find guides... Jul 9, 2013

... so perhaps take a look here for guides provided by SDL. The Start menu in windows under SDL->SDL Trados Studio 2011->Documentation for example contains pdf documents on the following:

1. SDL Trados Studio 2011 Migration Guide
  2. Release Notes
  3. Three “Quick Start Guides” for Translating and Reviewing, Translation Memory Management and Project Management

And of course there is an excellent manual here on the SDL OpenExchange that is provided by Mats Linder : http://goo.gl/cfruW

But an important point to note is that these options are controlled in two places. The Tools -> Options location determines what is used by default for every new Project (unless you use Project Templates) and the Project Settings are specific to that Project. This is deliberate behaviour so if you open an existing Project and wish to change it's settings you must do it in Project Settings and then the changes will be remembered. There is a good explanation of this concept here by Jerzy Czopik : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-fz

Regards

Paul

tokyobritish
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A more direct question Jul 10, 2013

Sorry, I should have just asked my question straight off. This is not covered in the official manuals.

What process does Trados go through when opening and when opening files? What priorities does it follow?

We just open xliffs and copy our TMs off of the server daily and read (don't update) these. I use my own TM for the new things that come up to main consistency in the file and store new items that appear on that day. I think a lot of people must be doing the same thing. Unfortunately the Trados instructions do not give any usage examples so I think a lot of people must be having similar issues too.

Any simple pointers would be a great help!

United Kingdom
English
I don't really understand where the question is? Jul 10, 2013

Hi,

I don't think I can answer this question without writing a book because I'm not at all clear on what your question is now? The process you go through seems ok for me, so what exactly are the similar issues that a lot of people doing the same thing have that have not been covered in this thread already?

I honestly have no idea how to answer your post.

Sorry.

Paul

tokyobritish
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, that wasn't the clearest question Jul 10, 2013

I was only asking for your personal style of Trados 2011 usage.
If you open an xliff, are any settings imported into Trados when you do? You say they are stored in Project Settings. What happens if you don't use projects or have created one for yourself but no one else in your group?

tokyobritish
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English entries not case-sensitive Jul 12, 2013

All of the following are false errors in Verification.
They are all English entries in a Japanese/English glossary. I can't find any settings to set case-sensitivity in Multiterm.
Is there any workaround for this?
Do you recommend mixing English into East Asian languages?

Termbase entry:
日本語•
Term:• AT
英語•
Term:• AT

Source:
All States
Target:
All States

Termbase entry: DCU
Source: DC
Target: DC

Termbase entry: DLC
Source: LCD
Target: LCD

Termbase entry: EBS
Source: EBD
Target: EBD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect verification of terms

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search