SDL Community user name
Thread poster: Dvir Cafri

Dvir Cafri  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:32
English to Hebrew
Jul 5, 2013

Hello.
I apologize if my question is off-topic. I have no other place to ask it and the issue is really annoying.

I purchased SDL Trados 2007 and last year also Trados Studio 2011. About two weeks ago, SDL community forum started forwarding support-related discussions to my private Email without asking me for permission. There is an unsubscribe link in the Email (or at least that's how it seems to be), but when I click it I am prompted for a user name which I have no idea what it should be. And as you probably know, there doesn't seem to be any way to contact SDL representatives at their website without paying them over 200Euro for a support contract. I searched their web pages and didn't find a clue as to how to contact them.

Please help, the amount of messages is increasing by the day and I have no idea how to stop it. This company turned into a serious spammer.

Thanks in advance
Dvir

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
English
SDL Community Jul 5, 2013

Hi Dvir,

This can only happen with your permission unless you had been receiving notifications from the system since December last year as we had a problem with this that we had to resolve. If you only received these in the last 2-weeks then I can assure you that nothing has been done without your permission. I know this because I personally add the users to this community and I do not do this without the user specifically wanting to be added.

There are settings in the system that allow you, as a registered user, to disable the notifications. If you can't find this, and there is a video in the community site home page that shows you how to do this, then please drop me an email so I know who you are and I will do this for you... or happily show you how to do this over a webex/skype.

Kind regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
This is spam Jul 6, 2013

Hi Paul.
Thanks for letting me know about this. However, I completely disagree. I strictly oppose any attempt to use my Email address for anything which is not a private message or a job offer personally sent to me. I ALWAYS thoroughly check and untick any box saying "subscribe me to..." before accepting anything. If anyone managed to get me to "consent" to any mailing list subscription, then they must have put it in a very fine print. And as far as I see it, this isn't different than spamming.

Bottom line is, I never agreed to receive any mass mailing/forum forwards/marketing Emails from SDL but I do receive them, even to Emails that have never been subscribed with the company (at least not by me). If this is not spamming, then I really don't know what spamming means.

I finally managed to find a user name in one of the Emails I received after purchasing Trados 2011. Following is the actual text in the Email body. As you can see, all that was written was that I belong to some groups. Nothing was mentioned about subscribing my Email address to those groups or forwarding discussions to that Email, and no consent of mine was requested. SDL simply assumed that I want that without asking me. This is definitely spamming.

As I perceive it, and at least as far as the Israeli law goes, in order not to spam you first need my consent to send me Emails. You can do it by sending me a single message asking for my permission. If you don't get my explicit consent and start sending me such messages without me saying that I agree to it, then you're a spammer. That's exactly what SDL did.

Regards
Dvir

Here is the body of the Email I received:

Hi XXXX

You have been added to the SDL QuickStart group that is part of the new SDL Community pages

Your login details are as follows:

Username: XXXX
Password: XXXX

Please Log in here: Login

You can change these details to something you prefer once you have logged in, and you should make sure you change your password too.

The login page is here Login, but you can always get to the community pages through http://community.sdl.com where you will be able to see all the groups you belong to.

We look forward to welcoming you to the SDL Community.

Regards, SDL

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:32
English
SDL Community Jul 6, 2013

Dear Dvir,

Ok. I have looked you up in the list of members and I can now see the date you were signed up. It was the 18th December 2012. So as I initially said, this could only happen if you had been signed up since December last year. The email you copied below probably also had a date received of around the same time?

I don't know why you have not been receiving notifications since then. However, the community is not really a spam, or a place where anyone tries to sell you anything. It is simply a community of users like this one (with less adverts) where you can ask for help and be provided with information on where you can find help for your SDL products.

But, as you are not interested and must have missed the tidy up last year when we had this initial problem I have now removed you from the community altogether.

Regards

Paul

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Spam Jul 6, 2013

Hi.
That's right, I bought the latest version of Trados at the end of last year and have never provided any consent, whatsoever, to use my Email address for any purpose other than privately contacting me regarding billing or any other private matter specifically related to me.

Anyway, thank you for removing my user from the forums. I truly hope that in the future SDL will respect the privacy of their clients and will wait for their consent before sending out unsolicited messaged.

Regards
Dvir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Community user name

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search