Compatability Trados 2011 with Microsoft Office 2010 vs 2013
Thread poster: anya doherty

anya doherty  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2013

This is a general question on how Trados works with either M.Office 2010 vs 2013.

I plan to buy Trados in the near future and so need to make a decision about which Microsoft Office is more compatable. After having read various of the threads in this and other related forums, I was wondering - since am on the verge of deciding between M.Office 2010 and 2013 - whether either of them is notably more or less compatable with Trados 2011. Or is it the case that all options have some hitch that I'd need to work thru?

thanx in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:14
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Stick to 2010 for the moment Jul 8, 2013

From my experience Trados 2011 is not yet fully compatible with Office 2013 (the names say it all ).

Firstly, Trados 2011 can process files generated by Office 2010 but not 2013. It would give out an error and then you have to convert your file to Office 97-2003 format for Trados to process. I don't know if at the time I'm writing this post any updates for this have been released yet.

Secondly, the preview function in Trados also uses Office program to display the result. And it displays really incorrectly if I use Office 2013. I don't know if this is really a compatibility issue or it just some settings are not right in the program (will check it later).

Thirdly, if you are really, really like Office 2013. There are 02 ways to make them work with each other. First way is to Save as... your document as 97-2003 format (since this is the only option Office gives you for backward compatibility). The second way is to check out this tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyS0Cp9F4PE

The rule of thumb when using software here is to buy every other release rather than the latest one for the sake of compatibility. So, from my opinion, save yourself some time and trouble and use Office 2010 or wait for the next release of Trados.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Italian
Information on SDL Trados Studio 2011 Jul 8, 2013

Hello
I am from SDL.
Since around March 2013, SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 supports Microsoft Office 2013.

If you are on SDL Trados Studio 2011, please make sure you check for updates and install the latest cumulative update. This will add the Microsoft Offfice 2013 file support.

If you are on SDL Trados Studio 2009 or older I am afraid it is necessary to upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2011.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Massimo

Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:14
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 8, 2013

Thank you for the good news.

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Update? Feb 26, 2014

I have Studio 2011 SP2R and am considering upgrading to Office 2013. FWIW, I'm on Windows 7. Has anyone noticed any compatibility issues between Studio 2011 and Office 2013?

Paola Battagliarini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Lisa, Jul 16, 2014

have hou had any answer to your question about compatibility between Trados Studio 2011 and Office 2013? I have "inherited" an old laptop with Windows 7, and I could switch a Trados 2011 license from another laptop to this one, but in any case I would have to install Office 2013 on it: so, before doing it, I'd like to be sure that these programs are full compatible.

Thanks!

Paola

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@ Paola Jul 16, 2014

I got answers elsewhere and did subsequently make the upgrade in March - no problems at all. I kept that running for about 3 months and then upgraded to Studio 2014 (still on Windows 7 + Office 2013), which I can certainly recommend.

HTH

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
@ Lisa Jul 16, 2014

many thanks!

Paola

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
no realtime preview Jul 16, 2014

Paola Battagliarini wrote:

compatibility between Trados Studio 2011 and Office 2013? I have "inherited" an old laptop with Windows 7, and I could switch a Trados 2011 license from another laptop to this one, but in any case I would have to install Office 2013 on it: so, before doing it, I'd like to be sure that these programs are full compatible.

Studio 2011 and 2014 both run fine with Office 2013, except for one thing. Realtime preview doesn't work if you're running a click-to-run version of Office. Nowadays, that means almost all Office versions, except Professional, which is a full MSI version.

So if you've got Office 365 or Home and Business you won't be able to use the realtime preview feature.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Emma Jul 16, 2014

Many thanks for your explanation. I don't use this function very often, so not having it wont't be a big problem.

Paola

taldaq  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:14
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
in word 2013 I cant enter target word Aug 9, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Paola Battagliarini wrote:

compatibility between Trados Studio 2011 and Office 2013? I have "inherited" an old laptop with Windows 7, and I could switch a Trados 2011 license from another laptop to this one, but in any case I would have to install Office 2013 on it: so, before doing it, I'd like to be sure that these programs are full compatible.

Studio 2011 and 2014 both run fine with Office 2013, except for one thing. Realtime preview doesn't work if you're running a click-to-run version of Office. Nowadays, that means almost all Office versions, except Professional, which is a full MSI version.

So if you've got Office 365 or Home and Business you won't be able to use the realtime preview feature.

May bo you know this problem

Shonali Patwardhan
Local time: 22:44
Japanese to English
Unable to preview or save target as in Freelance Studio 2014 Sep 9, 2014

I am using Office 2010 and Freelance Studio 2014 and am currently translating an MS Word 97-2003 doc. As mentioned in the earlier posts, I am unable to preview the document or save the sdlxliff file as a Word file. I was told that this could probably because I do not have a compatibility software. Can someone help me with this? What software do I need?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatability Trados 2011 with Microsoft Office 2010 vs 2013

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search