Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 8, 2013

Hello everyone

I have 20 SDLXLIFF files in nested folders. How can I open them all at once, in Trados 2011, without creating a project for them?

Thanks
Samuel

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
How to open multiple SDLXLIFF files at once Jul 8, 2013

Hi Samuel,

What are your reasons for opening all the files at once? Are these all going to be translated?
Maybe the following free app is exacvtly what you are looking for-

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliffsplitmerge-141.html

SDL XLIFF Split/Merge Application allows users to perform split of large SDL XLIFF files and merge split files into a single SDL XLIFF file.

Steve

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can't... Jul 8, 2013

.. without creating a Project. Although you can open them one at a time so they are all open at once, but you can't get them to open at the same time by selecting and saying open for translation... as you can with a project.

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Jul 8, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
You can't ... without creating a Project.

Is it possible to create a project that "does nothing"? My problem with creating a project is that the files are then processed and [I suspect] altered. If I open the file directly in Trados, it doesn't make any changes to the file nor does it perform any analyses.

One reason I might want to open a large number of files is to simply look at them, to get an idea of the scope of the project, before I decide what would be the best way to tackle it.

You can open them one at a time so they are all open at once...

Yes, I know, I can open multiple files if they are all in the same folder. Perhaps I should write a rename script that renames all my SDLXLIFF files so that the path forms part of the file name and they are all in the root folder of the job folder, so that I can open them all at once like that.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Projects that do nothing... Jul 8, 2013

Hi Samuel,

If you have the Professional Version then you can create custom tasks and prepare a project that does less... which is sort of what you want.

Perhaps a reasonable workaround for you is to create a project with a dummy file, one with one word in it so it's fast, and then use this dummy project to add more files. Then take a two step process... it's faster than you may think at first glance:

1. Switch to source language
2. Add your files
3. Batch task to convert to translatable format only
4. Batch task to copy to target languages

That would give you the files to look at with no pretranslation or analysis and then you could run the other tasks if you decided to go ahead.

So you still need a project but this would skip many of the steps... faster with the Pro Version as you could create a custom task just for this and then skip the dummy file requirement and the need to run two separate batch tasks.

Maybe this will help a little... it is faster than creating a full project for them all.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open multiple SDLXLIFF files at once

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search