Thread poster: Extra Consult

Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 03:07
Member (2008)
English
Jul 8, 2013

Hi,

We've recently bought TranslateCAD, which helps translate DXF formats. The software works like a charm, and we're able to extract txt files, translate them and reconstruct the DXF.
However, Studio 2011 doesn't seem to properly load the txt file in editor, where Trados 2007 does open it normally. I did find the txt encoding is UCS2-Little Endian. When I change the encoding to UTF-8, Studio 2011 loads the file normally in the editor window.
Also, when I copy/paste the contents of the txt in a Word 2007 doc, it also works.
(whilst these are all workarounds we could use, when dealing with tens to hundreds of DXF files, the converting back and forth would be cumbersome)

The files have this structure:

##000059##
APPLICABLE
##000060##
STANDARD
##000061##

##000062##

##000063##

##000064##

My question is twofold:

Kind regards,
Geert

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Your DXF (txt) files Jul 8, 2013

Hi Geert,

UCS2 is pretty old... It was replaced by UTF16 well over a decade ago. So I created a quick file in UTF16 LE and also created a new regex based txt filetype. I used the default filetype and added one rule for inline tags (a placeholder) like this:

##\d+##

Then opened the file I created based on your example and got the translatable text only. I saved the target and UTF16 LE is automatically selected.

So based on the example you provided here it looks fairly simple. Does this help?

Regards

Paul

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Sort of Jul 9, 2013

Hi Paul,

this does help indeed for the second part of the question, as the inline tags help with the content of the txt file.

However, the problem for the first part is the fact that the TranslateCAD software exports the textfiles in UCS2, and while I can convert them to UTF-8 (or 16), they will not import again after the conversion.
So I have to stick with the UCS2 format, sadly...for now, we're able to use Trados 2007 for this, and I'll keep testing some conversion path options for future Studio use.

Thanks for the excellent help though, as always.

Kind regards,
Geert

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can I see one of these files? Jul 9, 2013

Hi Geert,

It would be interesting to see one of these files as I know users who use TranslateCAD and don't have a problem with them in Studio.

Regards

Paul

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Sample file and projects Jul 12, 2013

Hi Paul,

If you're still interested in the files, I've take a DXF file and prepared some projects using various settings to illustrate the issue. Do you have an email address or any means to get the files to you with some explanation as to the settings used?

Kind regards,
Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - txt filter

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search