Why does the table of contents disappear in the cleaned Word document from Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:23
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 9, 2013

Why does the table of contents disappear in the cleaned Word document from Studio 2011?

I open the Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2011 and translate everything there as normal. But when I finally have cleaned the SDLXLIFF file, the table of contents has disappeared. This time, the only sign of it is the "TOC" written where all the headings should have been.

Is there any setting I can change in Studio for this? As the "TOC" is written out, Studio must recognize the t
... See more

I open the Word document in SDL Trados Studio 2011 and translate everything there as normal. But when I finally have cleaned the SDLXLIFF file, the table of contents has disappeared. This time, the only sign of it is the "TOC" written where all the headings should have been.

Is there any setting I can change in Studio for this? As the "TOC" is written out, Studio must recognize the text area as table of contents.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Update Jul 9, 2013

Hi Fredrik,

The TOC needs to be updated, References -> Update Table in Word.

HTH,

Bernard

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's there Jul 9, 2013

Just right click on TOC and as Bernard says, select "update". You will see that it appears with the correct page numbers.

Do let us know how this went, good luck!

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
F9 Jul 9, 2013

you can also just press F9 to generate the TOC automatically (first put the cursor on the TOC label in Word, of course).
good luck.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Several good advices, thanks! Jul 9, 2013

Ok, thanks everyone for your tips! I will use your suggestions next time. Just e-mailed the finished translation to my customer. This time I copied and pasted the TOC from the original. Don't need to do that next time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »