Susan McDonald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:22
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2013

Hi there

This is a strange issue. I've been using Studio 2011 quite happily for some time on a laptop which recently started to shut down randomly. I replaced the machine with a new desktop, running Windows 8, and Studio works very well on this.

However, I have a very annoying issue. One of my clients insists on receiving bilingual .doc files - unclean files. On my old laptop (which I've kept - it still works, there's just some kind of keyboard issue which needs fixed), I can process my .doc using Trados 2007 to create a pre-segmented file, then open it up and translate as normal in Studio 2011, as it recognises Workbench files. No problem. However, Studio 2011 on my new machine does not.

I have checked all the settings in Tools/Options and the Project Settings - everything seems to be as it should be. I have tried deleting the project settings and restoring the default - that doesn't work. When I add the file to a project or try to open it, the file appears in the list with "Reference" as the file type and no batch processes can be performed upon it.

I'd like to stress that I can still open up these types of files in Studio 2011 on my old laptop. And this is the workaround I am currently using: open the file up on the old machine in Studio then convert to translatable format. Then copy the resulting sdlxliff to my new machine and open it up in Studio. This at least means that I can work with these files. But clearly it's not ideal.

I have posted this issue in another forum but I thought I'd try this Proz.com one just in case anyone has had a similar issue and found a workaround/solution. I keep trying to persuade this particular client to dump their insistence on using this file format, but as yet have been unsuccessful!

Cheers

Susan

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter Jul 9, 2013

Hi Susan,

I use the following workaround:

1) Translate the doc file in Studio 2011
2) Use the above OpenExchange program to convert to bilingual Word file

HTH,

Bernard

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Format is not acceptable to the client... Jul 9, 2013

Hi Bernard

I did think of that, and I'm trying to persuade the client that this could be the best way forward for them, but their DTP department seems to insist that the bilingual format is best (presumably they want the formatting intact to produce a dual-language document side-by-side). Sigh.

My main issue is that I was able to process these files before in Studio 2011 - so what's changed in my new set-up that is preventing this? I know it can be done - so frustrating!

But cheers anyway - thanks for taking the time to respond.

Susan

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can you share the file? Jul 9, 2013

Hi Susan,

If you can share the file maybe we can help to find the reason for this?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Jul 9, 2013

I'm just going to send you an example now, Paul.

Thanks!

Susan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual .doc file format suddenly not being recognised in Studio 2011

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search